Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Posted by Melinda on December 10, 2022 at 4:01 pm

Really love all of your videos and was so excited to find that you offer this, as I have zero experience installing flooring. I am installing Mohawk solidtech founders trace in pecan. I am installing in every room except the room off from the right of the kitchen. I would like to install it there in the future, but initially decided not to since its the only room with good hardwood floor there. I wish now I had bought more to go ahead and do that room, but I will in the future if that’s possible?

The house is a mix of hardwood subfloor and hardwood floors. I’m sure there is wood subfloor under the hardwood but right now all floors are on the same level with each other and I wanted to avoid thresholds as much as possible. I tore up two layers of luan and vinyl in the kitchen and dining area. It was terrible. I’ve never seen so many staples and nails in my life. There is still one layer of vinyl in the kitchen. It looks like the glue down type and it is also level with the wood subfloor right now. I had planned to leave that and just go over top of it.

The photo of the kitchen shows an opening to the room to the right of it but I’m building a wall to close it in which is reflected in my drawing. My photos also don’t show a kitchen island, but I’m also in process of building that too and will secure it to the subfloor.

I do have a few floor prep questions as there are two areas I am worried about. The first one is in the kitchen/dining area. I am guessing there use to be a wall between the two rooms based on how the boards separate the two subfloors. Do I need to worry about that? The other concern is in one of the bedrooms. I attached a photo. It seems as though there is still hardwood floor around the perimeter of the bedroom and then plywood in the center. It is not level with each other. One side is almost level but then the other side there’s definitely a difference.

Also wanted to get a starting point as well. I wasn’t sure how to approach this. I included some photos around the house. It is currently a mess since I just finished tearing up all old flooring. I can send more photos if needed also. Thank you so much!!

Melinda replied 1 year, 3 months ago 2 Members · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • Melinda

December 10, 2022 at 4:02 pm

Photos of plank

• Melinda

December 10, 2022 at 4:05 pm

Tile area around fireplace in living room

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by  Melinda.
  • Joe

Administrator
    December 12, 2022 at 12:07 pm
    • Melinda

December 13, 2022 at 10:11 am

Thank you so much for the info. I definitely want to go E to W for my plank direction. I’ll go ahead and call the flooring store and order a bit more of the planks so I can go ahead and go into that bedroom.

I got some measurements and photos too. When I put a plank next to the tile I get about a 12/32″ height differences for the tile area in front of the fireplace.

I also took some measurements around the one bedroom of the height difference between that plywood and that hardwood flooring that goes around the perimeter. I get between 2/32″-7/32″ all around. I added some photos of that as well.

Next week is totally fine also. That will give me time to finish building my island and get that wall up between the kitchen and the room to the right of it to make that 3rd bedroom. No worries about the house being torn apart. It’s just me and the dog (Yasha). I love that you have a German Shepherd! Mine sort of looks like German Shepherd but he’s a Belgian Malinois, which is a shepherd just from Belgium and half the size of his German counterpart. If I finish in time I’ll put my tree up but not worried about it, lol. I’ll just be happy to not have carpet and other random flooring haha.

After you mentioned that height difference going into the bathroom, I did realize there is a small height difference. It’s about a 1/4″. If I have to use a threshold there that is totally fine. In the future if I ever get to remodeling the bathroom I wanted to put tile down so that might make it easier to make the change. For now though I want to put the LVP in there to hide that linoleum. Thank you again so much!!!

• Joe

Administrator
    December 13, 2022 at 10:20 am
    • Melinda

December 13, 2022 at 10:38 am

I can definitely build that subfloor up in that bedroom. For the tile area in front of the fireplace I was hoping for something smooth or seamless. I did buy one piece of transition. I think it’s around 12ft long. I don’t mind using transition around that tile either if that’s that best option. I mostly wanted to avoid transitions where the the living room becomes the dining room and then into the kitchen and also the bedrooms. Anywhere else I’m not opposed to that. Thanks again!

• Melinda

December 19, 2022 at 12:55 pm

I wanted to add an updated photo of the kitchen. I got the island in minus trim work and the wall framed up.

• Joe

Administrator
    December 19, 2022 at 1:09 pm

Thanks for the info! I will have the blueprint done tomorrow.

• Joe

Administrator
    December 21, 2022 at 3:06 pm

Here is your blueprint – https://somup.com/c3lrrhwml5

• Melinda

January 6, 2023 at 1:18 pm

Hi Joe,

Thank you so much for the blueprint. I’m so sorry it’s taken me this long to reply back. I got sick and then busy with work so finally ready to get this flooring down. I had a question about moving my main line that I snapped in the hallway into the living room down into the dining room. In your videos that I’ve watched you had a second point where there was access to get a second mark measured off the main line. I only have one door way coming to the living room from the hallway. Any tips on how to get my second point measured to get that line moved from the hallway into the living room and dining room? Thank you so much!

• Melinda

January 6, 2023 at 1:48 pm

Hi Joe,

Please disregard my last question about moving the line. I rewatched your blueprint video and realized you did answer that question. Thank you again!

• Joe

Administrator
    December 21, 2022 at 3:13 pm

Here is the link to the spacers – https://amzn.to/3v9SwiR

• Melinda

January 7, 2023 at 9:21 am

Good morning, I have a few questions before I keep going. I’ve got 4 rows down and was about to go around where those two walls come out. My first question is about how far away from the wall I have positioned the planks and how the cheater board will work eventually. I initially put only one row down and then secure it because I was having trouble with my planks moving around on me. I initially positioned it one full plank away from the wall and then moved it closer to the wall to get it right with my line that I moved from the hall way. My question is now that gap is less than one plank so when I eventually get ready to use the cheater board my lines will be marked on the 2nd plank away from the wall rather than the plank I have closest to the wall. Should I shift all the planks further away from the wall? My cheater board picture is just rough example of the spacing. I haven’t actually made a proper cheater board yet with the correct edge planed off, etc.

I also added a photo of one of the areas that I will have to go around. I didn’t realize the wall was like that when I initially submitted my blueprint, but will your same instructions in my blueprint work for area still?

• Joe

Administrator
    January 7, 2023 at 12:27 pm
  • Melinda

January 7, 2023 at 2:24 pm

Thank you so much!!!