Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

Activity Feed Forums Floor Prep Leveling and smoothing foundation

• Leveling and smoothing foundation

Posted by Philip on September 19, 2021 at 11:32 am

Hi Joe,

I have been working on grinding the high patch areas that had been pervious repaired cracks to put down LVP. I was using a 6′ straight edge and thought I was doing good. I decided to try a 8′ straight edge and realized at the crack on half of the foundation slopes down a 1/2″ over about 8′. The crack runs most of the length of the living room to the hall entree way, some areas are not as bad. I know you have not recommended self lever and I don’t want to use it either unless I have no other option and find enough friend and buckets for it, haha! I have been working with Henry 549 and 547 in the kitchen area What is your suggestion? Should I keep using the Henry 549/547 to fill the area up?

Thanks for all the help

Phil

Joe replied 2 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    September 20, 2021 at 11:00 am

Watch this my friend – http://somup.com/crQYoRrGjk

• Philip

September 20, 2021 at 3:37 pm

Hi Joe,

I took the time today to make a better layout of my house to help show where the cracks are. The planks will run north/south with north being at the top of the drawing. The blue line shows a crack that drops about 1/2″ on the left of the line. I did starting filling it in with Henry 549. That crack also goes into the kitchen but I was able to level that without much issue since its a smaller area. The red line is the crack is the one I showed with the straight edge and also dips to left of the line. As far as how much it dips down varies though out. I am realizing self lever might be my best option Any tips and suggestions for someone that has never used self lever are welcome.

Thank you again for all the help with this super long project. Cant wait to have normal floors again.

Phil

• Joe

Administrator
    September 20, 2021 at 4:33 pm
    • Philip

September 20, 2021 at 5:39 pm

I will looking into getting the tools and leveler. Quick search looks like I can get the NXT Level Plus pretty easily in town. I will see if the Ardex is available also. Is it Ardex 15?

<font face=”inherit”>What are your thoughts about the plastic level pins like these,</font>

<font face=”inherit”> https://www.amazon.com/Bon-82-289-Leveling-Pins-Pack/dp/B01CHTGPE6/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=floor+leveling+pins&qid=1632176436&sr=8-5</font&gt;

<font face=”inherit”> I have seen where screws have been used also to show how high the leveler needs to be. I </font>don’t<font face=”inherit”> think the </font>spreader<font face=”inherit”> will work good since I have varying </font>heights<font face=”inherit”> I need to fill. </font>

<font face=”inherit”>Are the spike rollers helpful at all?</font>

What the best way to guess how much I need to mix/pour?

Can I pour over fully dried lever?

Should I removed the 549 I put down already?

The soonest I would be able to do it is about 1 1/2 weeks from now. So I will have time to do the planning. I will pull the stove, frig, dishwasher, and wine cooler out of the kitchen when I pour there.

Sorry for all the questions and many more to come. I just want to make sure this goes good. I have seen to many stories where it didn’t go well.

I can’t thank you enough and appreciate everything you do to help out us do it yourselfer’s

Phil

• Joe

Administrator
    September 21, 2021 at 9:16 am
    • Philip

September 22, 2021 at 11:28 am

Thanks again Joe! I am heading out of town for work so I won’t get back to it for about a week. In the mean time I will work on getting the tools and supplies. I’m not to worried about buying the right tools to do the job with the money I am saving by doing it myself. I was an automotive technician for 24 years before changing careers and used to have to spend crazy $ on some tools to do a job.

What is the best way to estimate how much leveler is needed? Measure the square footage and average the depth needed?

When I put the level pins down they should be wider than the smoother? Also what the best method to figure out the depth needed, long straight edge? Laser with ruler?

Phil

• Joe

Administrator
    September 22, 2021 at 11:46 am
    • Philip

October 12, 2021 at 2:43 pm

Hi Joe,

Looks like I can get Mapei Ultraplan 1 Plus, or Laticrete NXT Level Plus. I am thinking of going with NXT Level Plus based on you recommendation. I figured I have about 300 ft² that varies in taper up to 1/2″. The NXT covers 24ft² at 1/4″, based on my taper that’s 12 1/2 bags. Does that sound right? I am planning on doing the blue line section in my floor plan first when is get back from work Thursday to see how it goes. Any tips I should know before doing it? I am still working on finding helpers for the big area. I did get the spike shoes, roller, spreader and the stick on level pins.

As far as what I do for work now. I am a EMS helicopter pilot and work about an hour out of town. I work 7-12hr shifts and 7 off so I am out of town a week at a time.

Thanks again!!

Phil

• Joe

Administrator
    October 12, 2021 at 3:01 pm

Sounds good to me.

• Philip

October 30, 2021 at 8:56 pm

Hi Joe,

I just wanted to thank you for help and give me the confidence with the floor leveler. I was able to get some helpers today and poured 11 bags of NXT level plus. Looks great so far, hope it only need minor touch ups with the feather finish. Unfortunately I head back to work yet again Sunday for 10 days. When I’m getting close to putting the planks down I’ll post on the other section to verify the plan again.

Thank you

Phil

• Joe

Administrator
    November 1, 2021 at 9:09 am

looks great brother!!!