Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

Activity Feed Forums Floor Prep level issue

Tagged: 

• level issue

Posted by Michael on January 26, 2021 at 5:18 pm

I am little confused on what I should do in this situation. Should I add floor leveler upto the height of the tile or lay the laminate as the floor is now? If I add lever there will be a bit of a height difference going into the bathroom. You responded “dont go too crazy with this” but I am not sure exactly what is best.

Michael replied 3 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    January 27, 2021 at 8:10 pm

Hey, I am confused about this too. I thought you were stopping at the tile with the plank. Are you installing the plank into that bathroom and you want top go over the tile?

Sorry it took so long to answer, I have been working on the site. Again I am really sorry!

• Michael

January 28, 2021 at 12:07 am

no problem on the delay, I really appreciate the advice. I also apologize for the confusion and for asking the same question twice. I plan to run laminate plank in the direction shown on drawing and leave vinyl floor tile in bathroom. The laminate will run 47 continuous feet from this spot through the hall ending in the front bed room. The flooring I install will be a transition free continuation from the hall flooring already there. My concern is how to address the dip in the sub floor in the area in front of the bathroom. Should I add floor leveler up to the height of the floor tile or slightly above the tile height to get perfectly level with the subfloor? too high and I get a step/trip hazard, too low and its not quite level at the subfloor. no structural issues, floor is sound, I had a carpenter look at it and he said it was done intentionally to eliminate a step at the doorway, says they shaved the floor joist right there, says hes seen it before. of course hes not an experienced laminate floor installer.

• Joe

Administrator
    January 28, 2021 at 2:27 pm

I guess what I am saying is that I feel that because the plank is running parallel to the hump that the plank will flow with it and will not cause stress on the joints. Therefore, I would not do anything with it.

To be sure of what I am saying, can you share a pic of the level stretched across the floor parallel to that doorway? I want to see if that is a dip just in front of the door or if it is flat past the door and down the wall.

• Michael

January 28, 2021 at 4:09 pm

looks perfectly level parallel to the doorway, which is the direction planks will run

• Michael

January 28, 2021 at 4:12 pm

I am using mannington 12mm laminate and the instructions call for 1/8 max variation over 6 feet

• Michael

January 28, 2021 at 4:16 pm

1/8 inch max variation