Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

Activity Feed Forums Where should I start – Post drawings and questions It’s my time to say “Where should I start?”

• Joe

Administrator
    November 22, 2021 at 8:59 am

Watch this – http://somup.com/crX3290DWv

and then watch this video – http://somup.com/crXF2q0XS8

• John

January 9, 2022 at 12:47 pm

Hiya Joe:

I hope this note finds you and your family well.

Attached is a drawing of my plank size and T & G format. I also scanned the box end in the center of the rectangle to inform you of which plank we purchased.

We will be installing this over concrete in humid Florida, near the ocean, with a very shallow water table. We are not in a flood plain but very close to it. I just installed a new mailbox post and the water level was only about 12-14 inches down. So much water seeped into the hole I dug, I did not need to add water in the Sakrete mix first!

My concern is moisture gain. Should I use a vapor barrier? HD has a 6mil version in their flooring department that the worker suggested. The LVP is supposedly water resistant so I’m thinking no, but I thought I’d bounce that question off your experience.

During the kitchen redo I had a water leak that showed how un-level the floor is. We had a major puddle in the foyer area to the kitchen. This tells me I’ll need to do some self leveling compound there and possibly other areas. Do you have a preferred product brand or type?

I also downloaded the design software you suggested but I’m having trouble with it because it really is for whiteboarding. It actually took me back to my salesman days. I used a software similar to it back then.

I spoke with my designer daughter and her software is a pro version that is expensive. I used a floor planner software when I worked in furniture sales so I’m going to see if I can use my old logon to do the whole house plan for you. I assume if I save it as a JPEG, you will be able to import the file to your software?

I’m watching your videos.

Thanks again.

JohnnyK

• John

January 3, 2022 at 3:26 pm

Hello Joe;

Happy New Year!

First, I apologize for falling off the face of the earth there for a while. We switched priorities from flooring to kitchen redo. The countertops went in on 12-23 and I’m finishing up some loose ends like backsplash, trim, organizers, etc. I tried a new challenge by installing a farmhouse apron sink and it came out very well. I custom built a support structure in a prefab cabinet to handle the weight. Darn sink is 125 lbs. The quartz countertop installers were very happy with how well I leveled everything.

I’ll be keying on the flooring next.

The information in the 2 provided videos is appreciated. My first task will be to switch my paper drawings to the software as requested and do a full house drawing. It is a multiple room project for I’m doing all of the house except for laundry room and master bathroom. They have existing tile.

Answers to some of your questions: floor will be laid on concrete, I have a 1/2″ hammer drill and I’m experienced with Tapcon screws, thanks for the tip on the hot glue, we have multiple glue guns for my wife is a crafter, we received our delivery on the LVP from HD and I’ll pull one and check the T & G locations and update you afterwards.

I’ll watch the suggested videos and reconnect when I have my paper drawings redone on the software.

Thanks again,

JohnnyK

• Joe

Administrator
    January 10, 2022 at 8:16 am
  • Joe

Administrator
    January 10, 2022 at 8:19 am

I would use Henry’s 549 to fill the dip.

• John

January 10, 2022 at 4:49 pm

Hello Joe;

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Attached is a floor plan for the whole house. I used a free trial of an online app to draw it out. It allowed me to export as a JPEG.

It is not exactly to scale on the layout but I did place the size measurement of each room on there for you. I also tried to provide the size of each wall I thought important enough to help.

The doors are all 30″ except for the front door which is 36″ and the rear Living Room door which is a double at 60″. I also labeled which ones are exterior doors.

I marked the North, South, East, and West.

In the Kitchen I marked the openings for DW, Range & Refrigerator. I will be laying LVP in the openings. It is all tile right now.

There will be a threshold at the master bath. The bath is staying tile.

All closets will be LVP also.

I had trouble getting the front of the house drawn well. So as not to confuse you by the visual, here is a quick cheat sheet: In the laundry room the 94″ is North to South. In the foyer the 104″ is North to South.

My thoughts on placement is to run north to south with the planks.

Start in the living room along the 155″ wall that divides the kitchen from the living room. carry the first three rows all the way up to the front door. There is a 290″ long run going north to south (or south to north depending on starting point) from the rear wall to the front door. Please suggest your idea if there is a better starting point.

I haven’t viewed all your video suggestions yet. I wanted to get the whole house floor plan to you first.

Please message me with any questions or needed clarifications.

JohnnyK

• Joe

Administrator
    January 11, 2022 at 8:48 am
    • John

January 11, 2022 at 9:56 am

Hiya Joe:

Please base the plan on starting in the master bedroom.

My learning curve will be smoother in full rectangle rooms like the MBR and LR. I’ll have a closet and a doorway to practice on as well.

OK, today starts my video watching marathon!

I still have the kitchen redo to complete so I won’t be starting the flooring this week. It may be another week before I start laying plank because I have a lot of laminate to remove and lots of tile to scrape and dispose of. All the foyer, kitchen, hallway, and 2nd bath are tiled. Gonna rent a power scraper from HD. The rest of the house is laminate.

Thanks again

JohnnyK

• Joe

Administrator
    January 11, 2022 at 4:36 pm

Ok JohnnyK, I will have this for you tomorrow!

• Joe

Administrator
    January 12, 2022 at 9:57 am

Here is your blueprint – http://somup.com/c3Vlo8ZDcq

• John

January 12, 2022 at 12:29 pm

EXCELLENT! Thank you so much.

Started the video marathon yesterday.

I’ll connect once I start the floor after I get the kitchen redo finished and the floor demo done.

Probably 2 weeks. Gonna try and save as much of the baseboard and 1/4 round as I can.

Existing floor is mostly very old laminate and tile in the kitchen, guest bath/hallway, foyer, and laundry room.

Thanks again

JohnnyK