Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

Activity Feed Forums Floor Prep Hybrid RVP Floor in Wet Areas

• Hybrid RVP Floor in Wet Areas

Posted by C M on October 31, 2022 at 4:08 am

You had helped me with a Hybrid floor sometime ago in New Zealand which turned out great. Now my daughter wants me to put a hybrid RVP floor into her bathroom. My concern is she lives in a that is about 40 years old the bathroom subfloor is a patchwork of plywood and I am concerned about using a hybrid floor in a wet area. I was thinking about putting down a layer of polyethylene to protect the subfloor from moisture or am I better off putting down a coat of polyurethane just to seal the plywood? Any advice you have would be appreciated.

Joe replied 1 year, 5 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    October 31, 2022 at 8:25 am
  • C M

November 24, 2022 at 3:47 am

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your reply, nearly finished with the bathroom floor. Last step it to install the baseboards. Because it is a wet area, I would like to seal the edges with silicone. My preferred option is to put down a bead of silicon and then set down the baseboard to seal between the baseboard and the floor. This is option 1 in the attached file. Option 2 in the attached fire is to fill the gap between the floor and base plate of the wall.

I am concerned that option 1 would be like gluing the floor down. What are your thoughts, is it ok to put silicon under the baseboard to seal the floor?

The bathroom is 7’ by 12’ and there are no transitions.

Thanks for the advice.

Charley

• Joe

Administrator
    November 25, 2022 at 8:42 am

Use option 1. There is no need to be worried if you use silicone, it is very flexible.