Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

Activity Feed Forums Where should I start – Post drawings and questions Hallway Help – Width Isn’t Constant

Tagged: 

• Hallway Help – Width Isn’t Constant

Posted by Laura on May 21, 2021 at 5:33 pm

Jim, this is quite a service for DIYers, and I thank you before I even get started! I have uploaded a pdf of my floorplan. We have a 3-level condo, with the main living area on the 2nd floor. The LVP will be throughout the main floor, except for the bathroom and one of the closets. From our front door, you walk up carpeted stairs to get to the main floor. In my sketch, you can see that the view when standing on the main floor landing is 36+ feet to our west wall. There is a short “hallway” formed by the bathroom/closet wall and opposing closet wall, but our space is largely open. It seems that the planks will look best running lengthwise east to west. I am going to use Home Depot Lifeproof, 47.6″ long by 8.7″ wide. I have labeled my floorplan with letters and numbers to help with the questions below:

1. Small “hallway” and how to extend a chalkline with barriers? C is the end of a half-wall at the entry point. C to E are askew in that C is offset 2″ into the living room from what I wish was a parallel line to E. Trying to use a dry line to figure out where the center of the hall is (I’m assuming D to E is the hall), extending that line to C — I just can’t make it work where I have confidence that the 36.08 foot run won’t look like a crazy-making funhouse.

2. Related to the C, D, E problem is the kitchen island also obstructing a straight line from D to the kitchen west wall. The island F protrudes beyond the D to E line by 7.5″.

3. The D to E hallway varies in width by 1/2″. 1-to-2 is 35.5″. 3-to-4 is 36″. I’m afraid that 1/2″ might be quite off by the time I get to the east wall of the living room.

Joe replied 2 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    May 22, 2021 at 12:31 pm

I have a few questions – http://somup.com/crh3bvq1Eh

• Laura

May 23, 2021 at 5:23 pm

You have no idea how your being there helps! I spent most of Saturday measuring and re-measuring. It’s awfully hot here too (Kalamazoo, MI), way too early for this. I am going to try to upload 3 images:

1. New drawing in response to video 274

2. “Hallway” with 4 planks view 1

3. “Hallway” with 4 planks view 2 The hallway is impossible to accurately measure for reasons I don’t understand. I decided to use 18″ as halfway, as it made life easier. I have a what appears to be a nice dry line in place which you can see if viewing #1 above.

Bless you for all you do and your kind, approachable service! I am 68 and lost my husband in December, and am trying very hard to carry on this project without him. I hope I can. I can’t tell you what it means to me to be able to try because of your service.

• Joe

Administrator
    May 24, 2021 at 3:49 pm

Here is your Blueprint – http://somup.com/crhZYJqQdV