Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

Activity Feed Forums Floor Prep Guidance for uneven floor

• Guidance for uneven floor

Posted by Mark on January 14, 2022 at 10:55 am

We tore out our vinyl floor and underlayment. I would like to correct a slight hump where the old house meets the addition (see blue line in pic). It is about 5/8″ difference as you can see in the picture. The flooring on both sides of the line are pretty much level. My plan was going to be to use something like leveler or mortar to fan out the area to the left of the blue line so its more tappered. It wasn’t too noticeable when we had vinyl but I could still notice it. I figured I would ask if this since i just joined this forum (thanks for having me). Is this a bad idea or are there better ways to rectify this? We are going to be installing LVP

Joe replied 2 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    January 14, 2022 at 11:52 am

Welcome to the group! Do you know what direction you are running the plank? If you are running the plank parellel to the hump then there is alot of forgiveness, but if the plank will be perpindicular to the hump then I would answer this differently. Do you have a drawing of the area? If you do can you share it and mark where this hump is at.

• Mark

January 14, 2022 at 12:56 pm

Let me get the drawing complete as I need that for the installation blueprint. I am thinking that you are going to recommend it go perpendicular but let me get that to you. Thanks!

• Mark

January 14, 2022 at 6:27 pm

Here is a quick diagram. The red line is the area of concern. The yellow dots indicate where all of the LVP will be installed.

• Joe

Administrator
    January 15, 2022 at 10:05 am
  • Mark

January 22, 2022 at 10:47 pm

Sorry for the delay as I wanted to use a laser level to check things out more. I am including the picture you requested with the level in a different place. I know this will not be an easy fix but I would like to correct it so I can run the planks perpendicular to the slight hump in the floor. I also included a picture of some measurements I took with my laser level so I could get a better idea of what I am dealing with. The drawing shows the drops from the highest point (red line).

My current thought is to do something to take down that area around the red line and maybe 2 feet on either side so that it levels out more across a 4 foot area. Then screed the area to smooth it out. Any thoughts on that idea too?

• Mark

January 23, 2022 at 6:57 pm

Mark,

My home was built in 1905 and has settled over the years and had an uneven dip by the chimney which is in the walk way from the front door straight back to the kitchen so what I did is went and bought 2 25lb. bags of Henery’s leveling compound to remedy the uneven area. It helped a lot yet when I went to put down the underlay and flooring I had to double up in one area with the quiet walk under lay just to keep one plank from flexing to much. In your case I’d run as Joe mentioned towards that glass back door!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by  Mark.
  • Joe

Administrator
    January 24, 2022 at 9:31 am

That sounds like a great plan Mark. I think you have a good handle on this and you seem to be pretty knowledgeable of what you are doing here.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by  Joe.