Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

Activity Feed Forums Where should I start – Post drawings and questions Greg Crum New Construction Blueprint

• Greg Crum New Construction Blueprint

Posted by Greg on March 5, 2023 at 7:30 pm

Thank you in advance for your help! I am finishing paint this week and hoping to start our TRASITIONLESS laminate installation very soon. Below are a few pertinent details and please let me know if you need any further information.

1. This is new construction on a concrete slab.
    2. No trim, doors, cabinets, vanities or toilets are installed. I planned on doing the laminate first and setting everything on top of the laminate (unless you advise against it). I was going this route for easier installation, as well as flexibility down the road. The only items installed are the shower pans.
    3. Carpet will be installed after the laminate.
    4. Unless indicated otherwise on the room label, laminate will be installed in the respective room. The exception to this is the Mechanical room and the Porch. Those will remain concrete. My apologies for failing to label those!
    5. We purchased this laminate product. Let me know if you need other images beyond those provided via the link. Also, we are able to return this flooring so if you have concerns, please don’t hold back!
    6. The home will be connected to our garage/shop through the breezeway on the northwest corner. We will normally be entering the home through the breezeway but our guests will be entering through the double doors on the east.

My initial questions are what I’m certain you always address:

1. Where should I start to minimize working backwards?
    2. Which direction will prevent transitions?
    3. What is the best transition product or method from laminate to carpet?
    4. Do you recommend the QuietWalk underlayment or should I simply install directly on concrete?
    Joe replied 1 year ago 2 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    March 6, 2023 at 9:53 am
    • Greg

March 6, 2023 at 10:42 am

So helpful! Thank you, Joe!

1. I would like to go East – West with the layout. Your orientation is accurate with reality by the way.
      2. I would like to stick with East – West orientation with both of the bathrooms.
      3. I am going to take heed to your advice and install the cabinets first, which my wife will be thrilled to see in place. This will also help with overall project timeline as it will allow for the countertops to get templates while I work on the laminate. I’m very happy you referenced that.
      4. We haven’t picked out the carpet just yet but we know it will be a plush or frieze so we should be able to pull that off without an end cap.
      5. I will order the QuietWalk underlayment you recommended.
      6. Thank you for the confirmation on our flooring and discussion about the broken tongue. I would’ve thrown out every piece I chipped!
      7. See attached images of the plank.

Thank you again! I thank God that I stumbled across Laminate University before I began. This whole house build has been a blessing from God to serve my family and my community. I believe our home will be used to share Jesus’ love with countless in need of hope. The finish work is an area I have had great fear and have asked for God’s hands and strength to help me finish. I believe God is using you as an answer to my prayers and you are giving me the encouragement I need to see this endeavor through to the end. Thank you brother! Your work is furthering the Kingdom.

• Joe

Administrator
    March 7, 2023 at 8:08 am

Thanks Greg, I will get this done on Thursday.

• Greg

March 9, 2023 at 11:20 am

No worries, Joe! Cabinets are being delivered Tuesday and I won’t be starting flooring until those are installed.

• Joe

Administrator
    March 13, 2023 at 12:11 pm

Here is your blueprint – https://somup.com/c0eIbXyaSA

• Greg

March 13, 2023 at 9:07 pm

Thanks, Joe! I still have a bit to watch but had to pause and share something with you.

Five years ago, our 4-year old daughter passed on in her sleep. After she passed, our friends coordinated a MealTrain for us as well. Those meals together as a family created great healing for us.

Needless to say, we get it and love what you are doing.

My wife and I were watching your video together as you shared about the Solace Box. Immediately, we locked eyes and smiled in awe at God connecting us with you.

If you need any assistance with getting Solace Box off the ground, please don’t hesitate to ask. I have founded two 501c3 organizations and counseled others through establishing theirs. Additionally, I own a bookkeeping company and we love to assist non-profits and yours is especially significant to us. Finally, we would love to make a donation. Please keep me posted as you progress.

• Joe

Administrator
    March 14, 2023 at 8:13 am

Well first off Greg, I am very sorry to hear about your daughter and I have no doubt you will be with her again in heaven once you are done with the work God has given you to do here.

I really am pretty convinced this is not an accident we crossed paths. I would like to talk to you about a few things if you are willing.

We have already started giving out boxes to families and have just self funded this while we work through the details.

I would like to get the 501 c(3) filed, but I am a little stuck on it and maybe you can guide me. I would be more than willing to pay for your service.

We were given this vision last year and have been working on a plan since. We have several kids that are adults who want to be involved in some aspect and as we moved forward we found out that starting this requires 3 unrelated people and that is where we are at today. So, the past few weeks we have been praying about who we should ask to be a part of this.

• Greg

March 14, 2023 at 10:31 pm

The thought of Mandy in Heaven has gotten me through so many tough moments.

I am sorry you have to live life without your son. I would love to hear more about him and your family’s story.

I would absolutely be willing to assist any way that I can and no payment will be necessary. This is Kingdom Work! My schedule is very flexible. My team is running the business while I am finishing our home and allowing God to prepare me for the next leg of my journey. Therefore, feel free to pick a day and time that work for you or feel free to just give me a buzz. My number is 913-375-5469 and I am in Ottawa, KS so Central time zone.

• Greg

April 10, 2023 at 11:58 am

The flooring is going great, Joe, thanks to your layout and tool recommendations! Everything has lined up perfectly and square due to taking my time on the measurements and layout upfront.

I have come to my first snag and wanted to get your advice. We have a floor drain in the pantry for an ice maker. There is just a slight slope and will be covered by the ice maker. See picture. How would you approach this?

Hope all is well!

• Joe

Administrator
    April 10, 2023 at 12:19 pm