Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Posted by alynngraham on October 24, 2022 at 12:56 pm

Hi Joe, I am excited about starting my flooring project. I am looking to replace all the flooring on the first floor, stairs, upstairs hallway and two rooms with LVP. I currently have oak hardwood on the first floor and carpet upstairs.

On the first floor, I would like the direction of the flooring to go north to south. For the first floor, I think an east to west direction would look best, but I’m open to other thoughts.

Along with re-doing my floors, I am also moving forward with a moderate kitchen remodel which will include replacing all of my cabinets. Currently the cabinets sit on top of the hardwood, I plan to remove the hardwood floors in the kitchen and have the cabinets be installed directly on the subfloor. I know it would probably be easier to install the LVP before the kitchen cabinets get installed, but I don’t know if I will have enough time between demo and installation and I’m worried about the new floors getting damaged during the install.

Are there any major downsides to not running the flooring under the new cabinets? Also, would it be feasible to have the starting point in the dining room or living room? If I could knock those out first and then focus on the kitchen and entry after the remodel, that would be ideal.

I plan on going with the Flooret Arbor Signature. The dimensions are below and the pics are attached.

• Thickness: 7 mm
    • Wear Layer: 40 mil (1.0 mm)
    • Width: 9″ Length: 72″

Thanks,

Adrienne

Joe replied 1 year, 2 months ago 2 Members · 17 Replies
  • 17 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    October 24, 2022 at 2:41 pm
  • alynngraham

October 24, 2022 at 3:16 pm

Thanks so much for the quick reply Joe! Sorry for my typo, I did mean second floor. And thank you for the advise on the danger of running the flooring under the cabinets.

I’ve decided I want to go north to south on the first floor and east to west on the second floor.

I am going to be at least several weeks out before I would start the project, so please don’t stress on trying to fit me in this week.

Thank you!

Adrienne

• Joe

Administrator
    October 31, 2022 at 9:35 am

Thank you for giving me extra time and I will have this done tomorrow(Tuesday)!

• alynngraham

January 25, 2023 at 7:43 pm

Hi Joe,<div>
    </div><div>I hope you and your family are doing well. I have finally wrapped up most of my other reno projects and am ready to move forward. I have all my old flooring ripped up and about to move on to floor prep. </div><div>
    </div><div>During my reno, I made the decision to add some built-in cabinets and a window seat in the dining room (along the entire north wall). I haven’t finalized a plan or dimensions for the unit, but I really want to move on to the floors and leave the built-in to the end. </div><div>
    </div><div>Based on an earlier question I had about running the LVP under the kitchen cabinets, I’m guessing I should not build the new built-in unit on the newly installed LVP. If my assumption is correct, I’m wondering if I could still move forward with the LVP install, but change the starting point to the living room? And possibly leave most of the dining room install to the end? </div>

Thanks in advance for your help!

Adrienne

• Joe

Administrator
    January 26, 2023 at 9:07 am
  • alynngraham

January 26, 2023 at 10:14 am

Thanks for the quick reply! If you don’t see any issues with having the LVP under the built-in, then that would be my preferred option. Thank you. 😀

• alynngraham

January 26, 2023 at 3:22 pm

Quick question when checking for unlevel spots on in the floor. Do you check in all directions or only in the direction the plank is getting laid? In the below pictures, the same spot either does or does not have a dip based on which direction the level is laid. If I step back maybe the section along the wall and thought the hallway opening need to be built up. But then do I stick moving forward with checking only in the one direction? I’ve been scouring YouTube and I really cannot find any in depth examples of going through the house searching for highs and lows.

Thanks again.

Adrienne

• Joe

Administrator
    January 26, 2023 at 5:15 pm
  • alynngraham

January 26, 2023 at 5:56 pm

Hugely helpful, thank you!!

• alynngraham

February 1, 2023 at 12:01 pm

Hey Joe, could you watch this video and let me know if you have any thoughts? The Google link should take you to a viewable video. Let me know if it doesn’t work. Thanks!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZJGb2GNdKKHQBgCv7

• Joe

Administrator
    February 1, 2023 at 1:10 pm
  • alynngraham

February 1, 2023 at 2:30 pm

99.9% success

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KTbQCzbxLHAp9R2TA

p.s. the flooring is from Flooret, their Modin LVP Arbor Signature product

Thanks for your help!

• Joe

Administrator
    February 1, 2023 at 4:27 pm

You can fill it with a matching wood filler.

• Joe

Administrator
    February 1, 2023 at 4:53 pm

Also, if you could let me know what you think of Flooret I would appreciate that! How was your experience with getting samples, ordering and receiving the product. Was shipping fast? How well does the product install for you? Does the product seem to be durable and are you happy with the look of it?

I am about to do a review of the Flooret lines and so far I am loving it. I am also considering partnering with them, because of how much I like their products and service. BUT, I am still gathering information from people like you, before I make that decision.

I don’t mean to bombard you about this and I really appreciate your feedback!!

• alynngraham

February 1, 2023 at 5:19 pm

Thanks, if it bothers me I will fill it.

I am really loving Flooret. I did a lot of research and ordered a bunch of different samples from all over the place. My biggest concern was durability because I have two medium sized dogs. Based on some of the durability tests I’ve seen you do, it wasn’t only the best from a cost perspective, but I found it to be the most durable across all planks.

I ordered several color samples from Flooret and when I was 90% sure of what I was choosing, I also ordered three full size planks. Flooret was the only company I remember that gave the option of ordering a full size sample planks. I wanted a couple of full size planks because I wanted to let the dogs walk over them for a week to do further scratch tests and see how quickly dirt would start to show because I was getting darker planks. I also wanted to confirm that I would like the 9″ planks or if I wanted to go down to the Base 7″ model.

In regards to shipping, I think the flooring was delivered a week after I ordered it. I remember being surprised by how quickly it arrived. I had one full pallet and one partial pallet. I’ve opened probably just under half of the boxes and so far I have not come across an unusable plank.

The install has been pretty easy. I don’t have anything to compare it to, but I’ve had no major issues. The tongue and groove are definitely not brittle. I’ve done a fair amount of banging on them with minimal damage. I will have to say the 9″x72″ Signature plank size does get a little challenging to handle sometimes, but I am 5’4″ with little T-Rex arms so others might not have similar issues. 😀 I also have to score the planks 3-4 times to be able to snap it and a couple of times just taken it to my miter saw. But I’ll take the extra install effort to get the beefed up wear layer option.

I think that answered all of your questions, but let me know if you want any other feedback. I think I made the best choice going with Flooret.

Page 1 of 2