Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Joe

Administrator
    May 2, 2022 at 2:37 pm

Those butt joints can be a pain. Just keep doing what you are doing. As long as you use a rubber mallet, you should not be able to damage the plank when hitting those joints down.

• James

May 4, 2022 at 9:22 am

Hi Joe.

Here is an update:

I am finally finished the overall installation of the main floor. Now, it looks nice but… there are some crackling noises. This is my first experience with SPC or flooring at all for that matter and I had to read a lot about this kind of noise post-install which seems to be a mixed bag on whether or not it is fixable. I did fill in all the major low spots across the main floor and I have a Roberts 3mm felt underlay over the subfloor which helped a lot to improve the floor’s consistency. I don’t see any specifications issues where the floor is too unlevel over a specific distance but there are still some low spots and I could always feel those even with the old, compressed laminate.

My questions are: Do floating floors actually settle? Should I consider re/re the floor and putting down self-leveling compound? I know you mentioned you don’t like that product.

A picture of the underlayment is attached.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  James Bowes.
  • Joe

Administrator
    May 4, 2022 at 12:47 pm

It will settle, you just need to give it time. Those crackling noises will go away within a months time.

• James

May 4, 2022 at 1:17 pm

Excellent! Thank you Joe

• James

May 9, 2022 at 8:41 am

Hi Joe.

I ran into a situation where the top step for the stairwells from the back and front doors is part of a landing. Laying the stair seemed to be the best idea for consistent look and feel. So what I did was lay the stair on each edge and then was going to go across them with plank.

What are your thoughts? Pic attached

By the way Joe – props to you. I haven’t done physical construction in a long time and it’s a grind. My hands, back ,neck and knees are all sore!

• Joe

Administrator
    May 9, 2022 at 1:01 pm

I think that would look good. Did you already glue those pieces down?

• James

May 9, 2022 at 1:14 pm

Yes I have. I can see the shades are too different looking at the top step compare to the bottom, especially up close. I will have to change that top one…

• Joe

Administrator
    May 9, 2022 at 1:02 pm

Many years of installing makes it a little easier because I am used to it, but believe me I hurt everyday too. I am not getting younger!!

• Joe

Administrator
    May 10, 2022 at 8:37 am
  • James

May 10, 2022 at 9:35 am

Hi Joe.
    I thought about that too… Would have been simpler to do that. Experience is a great teacher!

• James

May 10, 2022 at 9:42 am

New issue for me… The stairs were built so badly though I wound up very close to what I wanted but there are still some gaps where the riser and the tread meet – not everywhere but a few stairs are obvious. Scribing was something I did actually do on a couple of steps but there are so many it may have taken longer than it was worth and of course what happens if you make a mistake and create a worse look? You cannot hide that. I have attached a couple of examples.

My thought is – and I hate to do it – to use a coping to cove those gaps.

What are your thoughts?

• Joe

Administrator
    May 10, 2022 at 10:04 am
  • James

May 11, 2022 at 8:43 am

Hi Joe.
    I posted some pics of the stairs and landing this AM. It’s looking nice and actually, I feel like I accomplished something amazing! I have the T molds to do yet but then the main floor is finished and I upload some of those photos.

Thanks for supporting me through this whole journey.

• Joe

Administrator
    May 11, 2022 at 12:43 pm

Absolutely stunning! Well done my friend!!

• James

May 11, 2022 at 10:52 pm

Thanks Joe. You are very generous in your praise!

I am working on the trims and I am not sure about a couple of items. I really hate to keep asking questions – that’s just how my brain works I guess… Once I finish these pieces, I will be able to move to the top floor and at that time, you may not hear from me until I am completely done. Rest assured, you will have a lot of pics! On to the questions:

1. I have a tiled bathroom floor and it is much higher than the new SPC floor even with underlayment. I bought reducers from the manufacturer but they seem too shallow or short. I am not sure I can use them. One pic is me holding a scrap piece of reducer level where you can something is missing. The 2nd pic is me letting gravity do its thing.
    2. I have T molding for the doors to the outside. I know its up to us and what we think is the best look but I’d your opinion. The 3rd pic is our front door and I think the T mold could go under the door trims or stop beside them.

Would you be able to look at the attached pics and share your thoughts?

Thanks for everything Joe!

• Joe

Administrator
    May 12, 2022 at 8:32 am
  • James

May 12, 2022 at 3:30 pm

New main floor pics!

Page 3 of 3