Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

Activity Feed Forums General Electrical outlet in middle of great room

Tagged: 

• Electrical outlet in middle of great room

Posted by Dewey on April 28, 2021 at 3:46 pm

Joe, working on last room. Have an electrical outlet in the middle of the floor that is going to stick up higher than the laminate. The outlet sticks up 1/2″ above the laminate. Looks like 1/4″ PVC coming thru the slab with 2 electrical outlet boxes stacked. I am sure they are glued together and glued to the PVC because they feel solid, no movement. I could cut off 1/2″ off the outlet box that sticks up, but that would cut off the top of the outlet box with the screw holes that are needed to hold the round brass cover. I might be able to cut off 1/2″ of the PVC and cut out the top outlet box from inside the PVC and install a shorter outlet box. See attached. The electrical wire is coming into the 1st outlet box and upward to the receptacle. Maybe you run into this before. Thanks for you help.

Joe replied 2 years, 12 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    April 28, 2021 at 5:19 pm

when the cover is on how far does it go past the pvc?

• Dewey

April 28, 2021 at 6:55 pm

Brass outlet cover is 1/16″ thick and sits flush on top of outlet box. With cover on outlet box the distance from pvc rim to top of cover is 1/2″. Seems like I have to lower outlet box flush with pvc. Not sure how to do that. Not sure I can cut out outlet box and replace without destroying pvc. If I cut 1/2 ” off the outlet box I lose the 3 screw holes that hold the brass cover. I don’t have an electrician I talk to. Guess I need to try to find one if you haven’t come across this problem

• Joe

Administrator
    April 29, 2021 at 1:31 pm