Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

Activity Feed Forums Floor Prep Cracks and expansion joints

• Cracks and expansion joints

Posted by Raymond on February 15, 2022 at 6:57 pm

Hi Joe,

I’m currently working on the removal of the existing carpet, tile, and baseboards. During this, I’ve come across a few different cracks. So far, the largest one appears to be about 1/4″ to 3/8″ wide. It looks like the previous owners have applied some sort of sealant across most of this particular crack. The other ones I’ve found so far are only about an 1/8″ wide at most. My question is how should one go about repairing these different cracks.

My other question is in regards to a gap that I have with the floor and the exterior walls. From the drywall to the edge of the concrete floor, I have gaps that can be up to about 1″ wide or wider due to “chipping”. Are these gaps something that I need to worry about since they are along the exterior wall where no one is really going to stepping on? Or is this something that I’m going to want to attempt to fill in and level out with the floor? From the look of it, there is expansion board between the concrete floor and the exterior “footer” the frame of the house is built on.

Thank you for your time and input.

Joe replied 2 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply