Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

Activity Feed Forums Floor Prep Concrete slab preparation

• Concrete slab preparation

Posted by Gene on December 31, 2022 at 8:48 am

Hey Joe Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and Happy New Year to you. I’m in the process of preparing main level floor for vinyl plank installation. I’ve removed the carpet and pad and I remove the carpet tack strips. However, upon removing them, I noticed that either when they were installed or when I pulled them up it caused the concrete to chip away where the nail or spike had been put in. Do I need to do anything to cover those up? They are fairly close to the wall and probably won’t be an issue. However, some of the exterior walls, as you will see in the picture have extensive breakage. What’s the best way to prep this if I need to do it? Thank you!

P.S. there is some slight adhesive residue from where the pad was glued down. How much of that needs to come off? I’m using planks with an attached pad and I’m also going to put down the quiet walk made for vinyl plank flooring

John replied 1 year, 1 month ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    December 31, 2022 at 10:50 am
  • Gene

December 31, 2022 at 12:28 pm

Thanks Joe! I was playing on scraping up the pad remnants. I just want sure about the adhesive and gaps in concrete. Your help makes this so much easier.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by  Gene.
  • John

June 6, 2023 at 1:55 pm

Thanks for posting this item. I’ve got a similar issue with tile thinset residue even after scraping it with a demo hammer blade. This helped.