Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Posted by Kevin on March 18, 2023 at 4:23 pm

Joe

I have really enjoyed and appreciate the effort that went into your videos. I will be ready to start around April 1st.

One question I have is about the living room If that room was done by itself I think I would run the plank east to west (the long direction and parallel to the light coming in from east and west facing windows.. The rest of the house might be going N to S. What do you think of mixing plank directions like that, there would be a transition at the door between the living room and dining room.

Thank you so much

Kevin Callanan

Joe replied 1 year ago 2 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    March 20, 2023 at 10:54 am
  • Kevin

March 20, 2023 at 10:15 pm

Joe,

Thanks for the insights, especially the part about “changing direction screams DIY”. Based on that I will not be changing direction or using a transition between the living and dining rooms. I think I will be going with the East-West (per my drawing) direction for the planks. This puts the plank parallel to the light coming in from windows in every room, puts the plank parallel to the long wall in the living room, and the guest bedroom, and since the music room and office are just about square long wall considerations don’t matter as much. There is less working backward this way also.

The only thing I’m not getting is having the plank parallel to the long direction in the connected Kitchen / Dining areas. This is about a 35′ length and what you will see when you come in the door from the garage which is where 90% of our traffic comes into the house. Almost every picture you see of plank on Flooret and other sites is taken looking down the length of the planks. So that is what I was expecting to do. From your videos, I learned that the perfect floor layout is never possible, compromise is necessary somewhere.

I’ve attached a screenshot from your video response that shows the E-W orientation

Thank you very much I look forward to the Blueprint on or about the 28th.

Sincerely

Kevin Callanan

• Joe

Administrator
    March 21, 2023 at 9:54 am

I have you on the schedule and if you change your mind before then, let me know.

• Kevin

March 27, 2023 at 7:51 pm

Joe

We have changed our minds. We want to run the planks North and South per my drawing. We laid out all the sample pieces we had, 14 of them and both my wife and our interior designer and me prefer running them parallel to the long walls in the kitchen / dining area.

Thanks

Kevin

• Joe

Administrator
    March 28, 2023 at 10:01 am
  • Kevin

March 28, 2023 at 7:37 pm

Joe,

Option two makes the most sense for our situation.

Guest Bedroom to run North-South also

Thanks

Kevin

• Joe

Administrator
    March 29, 2023 at 4:36 pm

Here is your blueprint – https://somup.com/c0eUrz4cGO