Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Posted by Don on August 4, 2022 at 7:18 pm

Hi Joe,

I believe I am ready to begin my LVP flooring project for a remodel we are doing. I used the software you suggested, but was unable to Export a JPG file. It requested that I purchase a license. The 9.95/month charge is reasonable, but it requires a year in advance payment ($119.40). I was able to download a .sdr file, which I assume is a SmartDraw file that you should be able to upload to the program. I’m hoping you have access to a paid account. Unfortunately I can’t upload the .sdr file for some reason, so here’s a link to view the file.

https://cloud.smartdraw.com/share.aspx/?pubDocShare=6F23F1DA913E24C0A28BB8218FD962E5375

If not, I’ve included a floor plan from the listing. The PDF has better resolution, the JPG will be blurry if magnified.

This is a Lake House originally built in the 1930s. The Kitchen, Family Room, Bedroom 2, Laundry, and Bathroom were the original Cabin. The Sunroom, Great Room, and Bedroom were more recent additions and have electrical that will not burn the place down. I believe the floors are the original wood floors. I hope to include some images. In the kitchen, there is a layer of Vinyl flooring that was impossible to remove and the Asbestos remediation team (attic asbestos) feared removing the final layer due to concern of asbestos. I hope to use the Ardex Feather Finish or Henry 549 to smooth the edges. I believe the remainder of the floor is pretty flat. There is a 3/4” dip transition to the Sunroom, but I will add sub flooring to even that out. There is a 1/2 to 5/8 transition down to the Great Room (as per my note). Was previously managed with newspaper. I think I’m going to just use a transition here unless you have any other ideas. I don’t want to add subfloor to the bigger area.

My wife originally wanted to go side to side perpendicular to the long axis from Kitchen, to Family Room, to Sunroom. Prior to the cabinets being in, she felt the length of the space with the flooring running in that direction would not look good. I think based on your videos, I should be going the length of that span. I would eventually have a line from the Sunroom to Kitchen. I think my starting line running from the open hallway into Bedroom 2. I would start in that Bedroom at the outside wall which would minimize my going backwards.

The floor my wife chose was from Lowe’s. I know you have not had much experience with their product, but you indicated that you felt that it was a good product from the user’s experiences in your Forums. It is a Smartcore Ultra XL plank. The planks are 9” wide x 72” in length.

SMARTCORE Ultra XL Sherwood Oak 9-in Wide x 7-1/2-mm Thick Waterproof Interlocking Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring (17.96-sq ft)

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SMARTCORE-SCU-XL-Sherwood-Oak-Plank/1002446210

Joe replied 1 year, 8 months ago 2 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Don

August 4, 2022 at 10:17 pm

Images of laminate floor on wood. Looking into corner with refrigerator and cabinets around range. Irregular levels due to laminate and adhesive.

• Don

August 4, 2022 at 10:20 pm

Images of floor on opposite wall with dishwasher and sink showing laminate on wood floor and bare wood floor.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by  Don.
  • Don

August 4, 2022 at 10:25 pm

Looking from Kitchen to Sunroom with Bathroom entry towards right.

• Don

August 4, 2022 at 10:32 pm

View from Bathroom looking into Laundry and down open hall into Bedroom 2

• Don

August 4, 2022 at 10:35 pm

View of Open Hallway looking into Laundry. Possibly starting with chalk line through this Hallway into Bedroom 2??

• Joe

Administrator
    August 5, 2022 at 9:38 am
    • Don

August 5, 2022 at 8:12 pm

Joe,

Thank you so much for the prompt response. I have reviewed the video and appreciate the insight. We do have a couple of decisions to make regarding the execution. It seems like there are options to possibly transition from the “Family Room’ to the “Great Room.” We will need to decide on plank direction. I forgot to mention I have been staging the renovation and working on Bedroom 2, the Kitchen, the Family Room, and the Sunroom (I still need to add the subfloor to even out the transition). I was trying to complete the floor in this area and then move to Bedroom 1 and Great Room to the North. The walls need work and need to be painted, plus all the equipment and supplies are currently in those areas. That is why I was starting from the other end in Bedroom 2, or I could start in the Sunroom. I’ll review the issues with my wife and get back to you with the plank direction. We are actually in Connecticut for my son’s wedding, but I’ll get the pictures of the T & G when I return to Michigan.

Again, thank you so much for your expertise. I genuinely appreciate your input. I’m very impressed with how quickly you provide your feedback. I will get back to you soon.

Don

• Joe

Administrator
    August 6, 2022 at 9:50 am

You can start wherever you would like Don. Just let me know. No hurry on my end.