Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Joe

Administrator
    May 16, 2022 at 4:23 pm

I am out of the office until Tuesday afternoon and I will get to this then.

• Joe

Administrator
    May 17, 2022 at 3:28 pm
  • tonychowfacebook

May 18, 2022 at 12:24 am

Thanks Joe!

1. Yes the area on the left ground floor is concrete slab. It currently has loose lay vinyl.

2. I will do west to east upstairs starting in master bedroom

3. Ground floor direction. Forgot to mention of possibility of the wall between the front room and kitchen might be removed. Does that change your recommendations?

4. Ok will demo the upstairs tile floors bathroom.

5. Ok I understand reasons for demoing ground floor laminate to get to sub floor. But what do I do about the laundry room? It currently has vinyl sheet. That matches of everything else on ground floor in height

• Joe

Administrator
    May 18, 2022 at 12:42 pm

As far as direction goes I don’t think that would change much, but remember this is your decision, not mine! I would demo the vinyl too. Just let me know on direction when you decide.

• tonychowfacebook

May 18, 2022 at 2:44 pm

Ok great. One question about demoing everything to get to the subfloor on the ground floor. I have a concern. The previous laminate in the kitchen is higher than this new one I have. If I take the baseboards off and put them back on lower there will be damage to the sheetrock and a line that is now visible. Also door jambs are going to have a gap. I was hoping to reuse the baseboards but demoing down to the subfloor sounds like I will need to install new baseboards that are thicker to cover up?

• Joe

Administrator
    May 19, 2022 at 9:06 am
  • tonychowfacebook

May 23, 2022 at 1:34 am

Thanks so much for your advice! Looks like I’ll have to get new baseboards that cover up or repaint.

1) I’ll be doing West to East both upstairs and downstairs.

2) West room with bathroom north of the garage is on concrete slab.

• Joe

Administrator
    May 23, 2022 at 5:42 am

Ok, thanks Tony. I will have this to you tomorrow.

• Joe

Administrator
    May 24, 2022 at 10:55 am

Here is your blueprint – http://somup.com/c3hZoLtI3q

• tonychowfacebook

May 26, 2022 at 3:42 pm

awesome thanks! I am going to start upstairs first and using your stringline method I found that I had only a tiny sliver of 1.5″ in closet doorway and hallway so I’ll be moving the midpoint line by half a plank.
      One question. I didn’t see a video about this kind of hump in the floor. See photo. It is a sharp bump in the OSB and I am not sure whether to grind it down as it will flake? What is your suggestion?

Thanks

Tony

• Joe

Administrator
    May 27, 2022 at 6:32 am
  • tonychowfacebook

June 16, 2022 at 8:03 pm

Great thanks for your help on that tricky door jambs. Got that done. Have a question on how to handle this toilet.

1. How do I get rid of that plastic collar around the water pipe?

2. Can I still use this subfloor with the water damage?no squeeks and appears to be solid.

Thanks!

• Joe

Administrator
    June 17, 2022 at 9:06 am
    • tonychowfacebook

June 17, 2022 at 11:53 am

Awesome thanks! And I can use that subfloor even though there is water damage? But not rotten or squeeky

Thanks!

• Joe

Administrator
    June 18, 2022 at 7:03 am

Yes

• tonychowfacebook

January 23, 2023 at 4:40 pm

Hey Joe, Thanks for your help! I got my upstairs finished in the summer and it looks great. I’m ready to start downstairs now. I was going to start in the lower level of the downstairs.

http://somup.com/c3hZoLtI3q

Timestamp (35min30sec)

In the video you started on the wall with the windows. Because I would like to still have use of the other room, I would like to start in the bathroom. I would be working on the wall starting at the bathtub working my way out. It seems doable and not too difficult. Do you recommend against this or something I should know in making this decision?

http://somup.com/c3hZoLtI3q

Timestamp (35min30sec)

Thanks

• Joe

Administrator
    January 24, 2023 at 10:04 am
  • tonychowfacebook

January 24, 2023 at 2:08 pm

Sorry wasn’t clear enough. Attached drawing with lower set of stairs marked. There’s a set of stairs that separate that area. Marked the stairs. Want to start where the green dot is. Sounds like from your reply that is ok😃

Page 1 of 2