Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Posted by Dale on August 3, 2021 at 11:13 pm

Hi Joe,

I am planning to install Lifeproof (Sterling Oak) LVP flooring throughout my entire house (FYI my house is ~900 square feet; bedrooms are ~100 sq ft each). One challenge I will face is that my hallway is not straight/square. It starts out 37 1/4″ wide and goes to 38″ wide in the center then back to 37 1/4″ wide at the bedroom door. Also, the wall between my bathroom vanity and washing machine is not square.

The Lifeproof planks are 8.7″ wide and 47.6″ long.

1) Where do you suggest I start?

2) Do you recommend cutting vinyl plank vertically in the miter saw like you do with laminate?

3) I think I saw one of your videos where you used a planer and glue? When would that step be necessary and should I have those items on hand when I start laying the flooring down?

Thanks!
    Dale

Joe replied 2 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    August 4, 2021 at 9:29 am
    • Dale

August 5, 2021 at 9:01 am

Hi Joe,

– I am planning to run the planks East West on the drawing (with N to the top).

– The line that runs North to South through the closet text box should not be there. So the closet starts where the dash line is and ends at the wall where the tub is on the other side.

– For the planks, when I put the tongue at the top, the tongue is also on the right. So the tongue is North and East and the groove is West and South.

Thanks Joe!

Dale

• Joe

Administrator
    August 6, 2021 at 11:13 am

Here is your blueprint – http://somup.com/crj1DIYEzx

• Dale

August 12, 2021 at 9:22 am

Hi Joe,

Thank you for the blueprint.

1) You have the tongue and groove orientation wrong. The tongue is on the top and right (not top and left like you had in your blueprint video). So with that said I believe I should start at the front door and work left to right. My question is … should I start my first row in the closet near the front door? Or should I start my first row after the closet and come back to finish later like you suggested in the video? I wasn’t sure if the approach would change based on this tongue and groove orientation.

2) My hallway is 37 5/8″ wide. So I moved the center line over half a plank and now my center line is 14 7/16″ from the wall So that is where I marked my center line. That means my plank should extend ~3″ into the bedroom doors. Going the other direction, it looks like my plank will land at roughly the same place with the plank extending into the door ~3″. So this looks like a good center line to work from.

I measured to the wall in each of the bedrooms and here are the measurements from the center line

– Bedroom #1 (farthest right on the blueprint) – The wall is 136 11/16″ from the center line.

– Bedroom #2 (across the hall from bathroom) – The wall is 136 7/8″ from the center line.

I am planning to start my flooring installation tomorrow (8/13), so your input if much appreciated.

Thanks Joe!
      Dale

• Joe

Administrator
    August 13, 2021 at 6:56 am