Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Posted by Jeff on March 16, 2022 at 10:39 am

Attached is our floor plan and photos. All flooring, the carpet and foyer hardwood is over our basement. The LVP to white tile transition into the kitchen is over a slab. Areas of concern in my mind are, the round areas at the bottom of the stairs, trimming around the fireplace hearth. Floor squeaks in a few places, how to fix that, pad underneath recommended?

We are ordering Adura Max Napa Spirit. Grain of the planks going from front door into the great room.

I am sure I will have more areas of concern once I get demo underway. Not sure which transitions I will need for the great room to kitchen tile, and fireplace if it can not be undercut?

Good luck healing!

• This discussion was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by  Jeff.
    Jeff replied 2 years ago 2 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    March 16, 2022 at 1:22 pm
  • Joe

Administrator
    March 16, 2022 at 1:27 pm

Sorry, I missed a couple questions – http://somup.com/c3eDFtT5mV

• Jeff

March 16, 2022 at 2:23 pm

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. Ordering the Adura Max Napa Spirit tomorrow. Should be here next week. 6 wide by 48 long I believe. North South orientation, you are correct. Fort Wayne IN, here. Close to 70 deg today, I rode my bike to work. I will pull up some carpet and get closer pics and measurements of the tile transition and fireplace. I will probably demo the whole thing at once. We just painted, and will be removing all baseboards and going with at least a 6 inch baseboard. Home built in 1993, Framed by the Amish, basement has a suspended ceiling.

• Jeff

March 16, 2022 at 2:32 pm

Also, where the stair carpet meets the new flooring, is a transition needed? I only just started watching the videos.

• Joe

Administrator
    March 16, 2022 at 3:56 pm

Here is your blueprint – http://somup.com/c3eDYNT59o

• Jeff

March 16, 2022 at 6:38 pm

Thanks. Few things.

1. you are not charging enough.

2. I watched the entire blueprint and I missed how I make sure my last row up against the kitchen tile is not a one inch strip of plank?

3. Kitchen tile is just barely over 1/4 above the subfloor. I think T will work. The ceramic tile into master bath however is 1 1/8 I am going to have to do some leveling up to that area for sure. Fireplace pics added.

4. Starting demo this weekend, thanks for your help.

• Joe

Administrator
    March 17, 2022 at 8:57 am
  • Jeff

March 21, 2022 at 9:57 am

Hope your PT is going well. We did our demo this last weekend. All good. The only tough part was that the foyer/hall/closet hardwood was glued directly to 23/32 OSB. No underlay was used. Short sighted lazy construction. I got the floor up, with an air hammer and a lot of anger. Now I have a chipped glue mess. Not sure how to proceed. Grind the glue off and fill/float. Grind and overlay or just replace the OSB. Which I am getting a bid on. No hurry, I have plenty of work to do.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by  Jeff.
  • Joe

Administrator
    March 22, 2022 at 9:49 am

You could skim over that using henry’s 549 to make it smooth. It will probably take a couple of coats.

• Jeff

April 4, 2022 at 8:35 pm

Joe, update and question. Leveling and quiet walk is done. Disappointed that about half of my rolls of quiet walk were different widths some 35 3/8 some 36 1/4 Someone got lazy at the factory.

Question on starting my first row. I carried over 10 planks into the entry / coat closet to the master bedroom, 58 11/16 and drew a line into the master BR. I have a vent along that first row. I think I want to start in front of it. It is 126 1/2 from my line. 21 boards is 123 1/4. Should I start there? I can fit two boards behind it leaving a 3/8 inch gap to the wall. I can not leave a 2-6″ gap along the wall without moving my carried over centerline. Which would then jack up my foyer symmetry. Photos attached. Two other vents by the window I can more easily deal with.

• Joe

Administrator
    April 5, 2022 at 9:00 am
  • Jeff

April 5, 2022 at 9:39 am

Thanks, that answers my question. I will start my first row just in front of the vent.

I can always just cut a thicker mdf baseboard for that gap, or use a quarter round on that wall if I have to. It is behind a king bed mostly.

Jeff