Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Posted by Tory on January 10, 2022 at 12:50 am

Hi Joe,

I’m thinking about taking on this project and I wanted to absorb as much as I can before I possibly start. At this point, I haven’t decided which plank to go with, but SMARTCORE Pro Thick Waterproof Interlocking Luxury is a strong consideration due to its supposed accessibly. What’s your take on SMARTCORE Pro LVP? The living room, hallway, and bedrooms currently have carpet. Other areas currently have vinyl sheet flooring. How do you advise that I start and tackle this project where all floors would be LVP-ed?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

-Torrii

Joe replied 1 year, 6 months ago 2 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    January 10, 2022 at 8:43 am
  • Tory

January 12, 2022 at 4:53 pm

Will let you know. Thanks!

• Tory

January 14, 2022 at 4:37 pm

Hi Joe,

Some time ago, I got my water heater repaired after a leak, which caused some minor water damage, that no one told me about, to the affected quarter round . After the tenant moved out, I discovered a little bit of a smell in the bathroom, where I also noticed the attached picture of mold that may be limited to a small section of the quarter round possibly. Visually, I do not see any mold on the wall itself. Under that section of quarter round where the mold is is vinyl sheet flooring over the concrete slab. The vinyl sheet flooring “appears” to be normal. Should I attempt to remove the vinyl sheet flooring directly below that area, at a minimum, to see if there may be any additional mold growing? (Does mold even grow on concrete?) If there is mold under the vinyl sheet flooring somehow, how should it be handled and/or prepped before laying down any new vinyl plank?

• Tory

January 15, 2022 at 1:41 am

Secondly, if I were to feather out from the vinyl sheet kitchen into the will be removed pad and carpet over the concrete slab, any recommendation on keeping things flat? If I were to feather into the living room, the surface would be flat. But, if I then were to put the (6 mil poly?) vapor barrier over the living room concrete, leaving the kitchen’s vinyl sheet flooring as is, I would have now created yet another situation of unevenness, defeating the purpose? Possibly I should measure the height difference between the kitchen vinyl sheet and the raw concrete, then report back with my findings? (There are two different vinyl sheet products inside the house.) Or I could order Quiet Walk to put over the raw concrete only if it’s within an acceptable height margin as compared to the vinyl sheet height? Please advise.

• Joe

Administrator
    January 15, 2022 at 9:41 am
  • Joe

Administrator
    January 15, 2022 at 9:53 am
  • Tory

March 4, 2022 at 1:19 am

Hi Joe,

My Costco Mohawk Home Thistle Crest Oak Waterproof Rigid 5mm Thick Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring + 1mm Attached Pad included plank arrived. https://www.costco.com/mohawk-home-thistle-crest-oak-waterproof-rigid-5mm-thick-luxury-vinyl-plank-flooring-%2b-1mm-attached-pad-included.product.100667316.html

As discussed and at your convenience, please walk me through the installation.

• Joe

Administrator
    March 4, 2022 at 9:53 am
  • Tory

September 21, 2022 at 11:35 pm

Hi Joe,

3 months ago, since I had a lot going on (including another installation that you’ve helped me on that I still need to complete) and I was going on vacation, I hired out to Lowes thinking my installation would be complete upon my return. Today, I’m still waiting for Lowes’ third party contractor to repair and complete their screw ups. There’s a lot more to this, but I’ll keep it short. Instead of doing the entire job over with new materials, they say they will take up the existing flooring, blend it properly this time among other things, and reinstall. One of their installers told me face-to-face that it would be damaged if he were to start taking things apart so he left without touching the flooring three weeks ago. Do you think that Lowes’ Smartcore Pro Sugar Valley Maple will hold up for a reinstallation? Or would new flooring be the right thing to install customer-service-wise and especially from a durability perspective, especially since its been 3 months?

• Joe

Administrator
    September 23, 2022 at 8:06 am

I would not let them come in and just repair the floor. I would ask for a total replacement because the integrity of the drop and lock will be compromised.