Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Tory

February 25, 2022 at 10:14 am
  • Joe

Administrator
    February 25, 2022 at 6:25 pm
    • Tory

February 25, 2022 at 8:17 pm

Thanks again!

• Tory

June 5, 2023 at 1:59 am

Hi Joe,

I’ve been away from this particular project for a while. Since it’s the worst floor now, I definitely need to jump on the powder room that starts at 54:41 of your 2/25 video to me. I know that I will need to take up the toilet for prep, but I don’t need to remove the sink for prep purposes. Correct? Does my attached pictured change your recommendations for the blueprint for this powder room? I assume I will likely need to do a carboard template to really nail this if the sink is not to be removed(?). Would you have any other suggestions looking at this pic that weren’t mentioned previously? Thanks in advance!

• Joe

Administrator
    June 5, 2023 at 9:32 am
  • Tory

June 7, 2023 at 11:40 am

Hi Joe,

Any ideas about minimizing the jaggered edges when cutting my board for around the base of the sink stand and making it looking as smooth as possible? Initially, I was thinking you recommended starting from the behind the will-be–removed toilet and working from the back to the doorway. On your second video this week, it seem as if I should work from the line and go towards the back behind the will-be-removed toilet. It’s this second way, that I was thinking of since it ties into how I have been doing the other rooms in the blueprint thus far. But, since you taught me both working forward and backwards, I guess it doesn’t necessary matter?

• Joe

Administrator
    June 7, 2023 at 12:08 pm
  • Tory

June 12, 2023 at 1:32 am

Hi Joe,

I hope this (dumb or newbie-ish) question makes sense for the powder room that I am starting back on where the picture was just uploaded a couple of days ago. My planks are long enough in my toilet (only) area so joints will not line up going from the left and right side only of my toilet from a pure plank length perspective. But, is that recommended or do I need to cut smaller planks to “force” the staggered joints for around the toilet only (since my plank isn’t quite long enough for the extended “cut out” where my pedestal sink is housed)? The “stagger pattern” is the foundation of a proper installation only when a job is in an area or a room that is larger than the plank length?

• Joe

Administrator
    June 12, 2023 at 7:47 am

Not at all a dumb question. Back in the cubby where the toilet is would be a great place to use full pieces and not worry about having a staggered look.

• Tory

June 12, 2023 at 10:25 am

Thanks for understanding my ramblings!

• Tory

July 15, 2023 at 2:07 am

Hi Joe,

So now that the bathroom is done, I’m afraid to admit that this “solo room” is the only room that I have completed quarter rounding. Unfortunately since I’ve had to put this project on the back burner since I’m trying to balance a million things while, thanks to you, I’m picking up these incredible skills for the first time, perhaps I should’ve asked this some time ago. I’m now at position 39:38 of my blueprint (https://screenpal.com/watch/cr6TDYVljTO), and due to all the stuff I’ll have to remove from the pantry when I finally get there, I’m more than sure my project will take me quite some time still. With that backstory and my 39:38 positioning with this transition-less (blueprint) install, does it make sense for me to wait until I’ve completed the non-eat-in kitchen, pantry, and laundry room (basically the entire project in short) before I begin to perform my non-bathroom quarter rounding, including the living room with the fireplace? Or are there non-bathroom “rooms” that you may recommend where I could lay the quarter round for shortly after completing a “room”? In this context, I’ve quoted “room” since outside of the bathroom, the whole downstairs is one big open floor plan (“room”) layout. In other words, I thought about putting down quarter round, for instance, after moving out the range/oven, but with so much more to do (pantry, laundry room, and installing the last row of the eat-in kitchen) and possibly the floor may later need to be “shifted” to close a future gap, I’m curious to see your thoughts here. Sorry for the winded backstory, but I wanted to ensure I properly communicated my “when to quarter round” question here.

• Tory

July 15, 2023 at 2:32 am

Sorry for the winded backstory, but I wanted to ensure I properly communicated my “when to quarter round” question here, especially since I’ll also be caulking (especially in the kitchen with ice cubes, dog drool, and the kids) to prevent hidden moisture.

• Joe

Administrator
    July 17, 2023 at 10:34 am
  • Tory

July 19, 2023 at 11:33 pm

Absolutely perfect! Thank you.

• Tory

August 22, 2023 at 12:17 am

Good morning Joe,

For reference, I’m at 7:55 of your video here: https://screenpal.com/watch/crlY2xV2Klz

Inadvertently I just caught myself trying to mimic my home builder’s way of not undercutting of sheet vinyl since this island toe kick plate is fully intact, but rather “inserted into quarter round” by cutting out an appropriate size toe kick plate insert into the quarter round. On the other side of the island, quarter round is mitered into the brown accent piece (not sure what this “rod is called”).

Should I proceed with the quarter round toe kick place insert to prevent from having to rip up about 4 rows width wise (length of the entire kitchen) of LVP for the entire island? (It looked undercut to me at first before I pulled things apart.) By the way, I’m planning to use PVC quarter round in the kitchen. Or should take I just take it up now, since I’m not past the island yet and possibly won’t regret it later? Would it have been advisable that I undercut the island “rod” on (both sides of) the back? Or would there possibly be some electrical wires that run along these “rod” corners?

• Tory

August 22, 2023 at 12:29 am

The above pics represent the before and “in progress” bottom of the island with my back against the range.

Page 4 of 5