Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Posted by Lynn on October 5, 2021 at 2:56 pm

Hi Joe

I am so glad I found your videos on laying vinyl planking on Youtube which lead me to your website and the Laminate University. I have been watching the videos for over 2 weeks now. I am planning on starting my flooring project this upcoming Sunday, 10/10/21. I have a small second floor vacation condo (less than 600 sq. ft.)that I am replacing the carpet and linoleum with Lifeproof luxury vinyl plank flooring. The planks are approximately 8.98 in W x 48.03 in. L. This condo was built in a modular fashion back in the early 70’s and each room is hexagon shaped so I will be doing a lot of angle cuts. I am attaching my floor plan that has basic measurements and layout. I can obtain exact measurements and pictures for you when I arrive there on Friday, 10/08/21. I would like your opinion on plank direction. Because of the unusual shaped rooms in the floor plan, the closet next to the utility room and the small hallway will possibly have to have planks laid on the diagonal in order to flow straight from the living room to the bedrooms. I am open to whatever you think will be the best direction to run the planks considering the work flow of the layout as well. I am excited to complete this project with the knowledge that your videos and blueprint will provide to me!

Thanks

Lynn

Joe replied 2 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    October 6, 2021 at 9:39 am
  • Lynn

October 6, 2021 at 11:37 am

Hi Joe

I have checked the floor under my carpet previously when I had a small leak and I am pretty certain the sub flooring is plywood or OSB. I know it is not concrete.

The bedroom closets run on a track at the top of the opening so they will not cause any issues in the install.

The small closet next to the living room that connects to the utility room has a bi-fold louvered door that slides on a track on the top of the doorway facing the living room. It folds to the outside left of the door when opened so it juts out slightly into the living room when open. The bi-fold door connects to the left side on the door facing at the top and the bottom so I will have to pull up the hardware on the bottom and reinstall it later.

I do not want to move the hot water heater and stacked washer and dryer so I will have to end the planks at a transition where the linoleum flooring starts in the utility room. There is only an open doorway between the closet and the utility room and not an actual door. I am sorry I cannot send pictures yet of this area since I live a couple of hours away from my condo but I will be there on Friday.

I totally agree with the plank direction that you have recommended! I just wasn’t sure where would be the easiest place to start laying the planks. Your recommendation of beginning in Bedroom 1 makes the most sense to me now.

Thank you so much for the advice that you are providing!

Lynn

• Joe

Administrator
    October 6, 2021 at 3:11 pm

Here is your blueprint – http://somup.com/cr61YX3QbZ

• Lynn

October 7, 2021 at 2:52 pm

Thanks Joe! I know this will be a challenge and I am prepping for it by watching your videos and studying the techniques. I have taken off a whole week to get this project done and if it takes me longer to do so then that’s okay. I will be in contact with questions once I get up to my condo. I plan to do old floor demo (carpet) and prep the subfloor on this Sunday and Monday. Hoping I don’t have too many dips to fill but I have bought the supplies to do so if needed. Thanks for your advice and encouragement!

• Lynn

October 13, 2021 at 5:50 pm

Hi Joe

I have a couple of questions concerning my floor prep. I and my sister have been busy for several days demolishing the old carpeting and scraping and screwing down a 50 year old subfloor that has lots of squeaks and creaks. I have old vinyl sheet flooring in my kitchen and bathroom. Right now I’m cutting the kitchen floor into sections to pry off the vinyl and it’s underpayment. It looks like there is old glue, paint spills and who knows what on the wooden subfloor. Do I have to scrape or sand that stuff off for Henry’s feather finish to stick to the subfloor? I have scraped off most of the loose stuff that was on the subfloor in the the living room and bedrooms but the kitchen is covered in it!

Also I have a pretty big dip in part of the kitchen that I was thinking about glueing and screwing down a 1/4 inch thick medium density fiberboard in a 2 x 4ft section of the deepest part of the dip and feathering out all around it.

I plan to send you a picture tonight of my layout with dips and bumps drawn on it. There is a high beam that runs through the center of the kitchen, living room and bedroom 2 and the floor slopes down towards both sides a bit but that should be manageable since the boards are running along with the beam. I will pay attention to place a joint along the high part and likely glue that joint all along the beam.

Is there a way to send you a video showing you some of what I’m trying to explain here?

Lynn

• Joe

Administrator
    October 13, 2021 at 6:13 pm

Send it to my email – floormechanics@gmail.com

• Lynn

October 15, 2021 at 12:31 pm

I just emailed you a video. It will download from iCloud when you click the link. If you can’t open it please let me know. Hope your surgery went well yesterday!

• Joe

Administrator
    October 15, 2021 at 2:08 pm
    • Lynn

October 15, 2021 at 7:50 pm

Thanks Joe! I am not up for totally leveling out the floor joists or pouring self leveler to the extent I would have to do so! The subfloors are around 50 years old and were not screwed down so I have spent a lot of time securing them so they don’t squeak and flex under the new floor. Your video on cutting up linoleum and underlayment to remove them was invaluable to me yesterday as I worked in my kitchen. So glad I found your webpage!

• Joe

Administrator
        October 16, 2021 at 7:38 am

You got this Lynn!!

• Lynn

January 24, 2022 at 4:00 pm

Good afternoon Joe

I am late in posting my finished floors but I just wanted to thank you for your blueprint, advice and videos! I finished the floors right before the holidays and I am so happy with how they turned out! I am glad I spent the extra time securing my wood subfloors in the beginning and I totally underestimated how long it would take me to complete the project along with my sister’s help. I am attaching some pictures of the finished project and the hardest part which was the 4 foot square hallway with 4 doorways coming off of it. Your video on making a template was essential to the successful completion of that hallway.

Now I am trying to decide if I am brave enough to tackle tiling the bathroom tub surround next. I will definitely be checking out your tile university site!

• Joe

Administrator
    January 24, 2022 at 5:38 pm

Wow! You did an incredible job here Lynn! It really does look good and you should be very proud to have finished this project!