Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Posted by Sally on August 30, 2021 at 8:22 am

Hi @joeletendre , we’re in the process of updating our floors. The house is a 1960’s build with subfloor of wood slats on piers- we’re in Australia so not sure how this effect the type of materials, etc. We’re replacing carpet, cork flooring and vinyl tile with laminate. In the attached image I have the floor layout – we’re planning to replace all the floors except the bathroom and laundry (which we’ve marked).

After watching many of your tutorials, we think we’ll go down the direction of the main hallway but it would be good if we could get your opinion on things. Where should we start from? I also posted a question about plywood over slats (in floor prep forum) but if you haven’t answered it yet, maybe you can just answer here… would you advise we put plywood over the slats before the underlay and laminate? And if so, will 7mm be ok?

Thanks heaps and love your videos!

Sally replied 2 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    August 30, 2021 at 8:57 am

How thick is the subfloor and can you share a pic of it?

• Joe

Administrator
    August 30, 2021 at 10:15 am

I have some questions – http://somup.com/crjvoorI9i

• Sally

August 31, 2021 at 5:56 am

Thanks for getting back to us so quickly. Yes – we’re basically night and day with you guys. We’ve been to the states a number of times, but haven’t quite made it to Minnesota yet. Maybe next trip!

In answer to your questions: I have attached an image of the subfloor – we haven’t pulled the existing floor up yet (looking to do this in the next few days). We found this piece under the house, cut out when they installed the heating. It’s 20mm (3/4 inch), and tongue & groove. But there are several places where it seems uneven with squeaks when we walk over it and floor seems to move in some spots (deflection?) (we plan to even it out and remove the squeaks as part of floor prep). We probably will look to put down some plywood but it would be good to get your thoughts – 1/4inch or 1/2 inch?

The laminate is 12mm and I’ve also attached an image with what I think the male vs female ends are. Let me know if it’s unclear and I can take another photo. I’ll also upload a couple of videos for more info if that’s easier.

In regards to the direction, we agree. East to West is probably the direction we’ll go. We were going to try and start from the kitchen but leave the top bedroom (most northern room) and adjoining hall to later. It’s on a slab and there are some other hurdles we need to worry about before we tackle it.

Hopefully I’ve answered everything. Looking forward to hearing from you soon! Thanks again

• Joe

Administrator
    August 31, 2021 at 11:52 am

Here is your blueprint – http://somup.com/crjwD7roPe

• Sally

September 1, 2021 at 6:00 pm

Thanks very much for the video Joe, it’s perfect!

What are your thoughts on securing the subfloor?

If we are installing 1/2 inch plywood on top of the current 3/4 inch tongue and groove subfloor? What is the best approach for installing the plywood?

For instance, do we use a two inch screw and first drive some screws into the tongue and groove subfloor along the joist every 8 inches to remove any squeaks? And then put the plywood on top and again run 2 inch screws along the joists?

Or do we secure the tongue and groove subfloor with 2 inch screws along the joists. But then use something like a 1 inch screw to attach the plywood to the subfloor. I thought I should use a 1 inch screw here because I was worried about the screws penetrating through the bottom of the tongue and groove subfloor. I guess it’s a matter of securing to the joist or the existing subfloor.

Also, should we use any glue/adhesive when attaching the plywood to the subfloor?

And the last question, when we attach the underlayment to the plywood, do we attach the underlayment to the plywood – and if so, should the underlayment be glued and stapled to the plywood? Again, assuming the staples would only be 1/4 inch so as not to penetrate the subfloor?

Thanks again!

• Joe

Administrator
    September 2, 2021 at 10:59 am
  • Sally

September 4, 2021 at 6:32 am

Thanks Joe – That’s really helpful. I’m sure we’ll have more questions later but we’re off to an awesome start.

Hope your wife is ok and is recovering well.

Thanks again- Sal and Mike