Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Posted by George on November 19, 2023 at 7:45 pm

Hi Joe.

Thank you for this site and all that you have taught me through your videos. Attached is my blueprint. I am installing Flooret Signature planks. A couple of questions as I get started on this endeavor.

1) Plank direction. I have 2 options I think. A) Base the planks off of the hallway and run them East/West. I think if I start in the Southeast corner I can minimize my working backwards. B) run the planks north/south starting in the Northeast corner. The benefit is the long runs of the planks will span Kitchen and family room. If I go with B), what do I base my first row on? If you were doing this job which route would you do?

2)I will be doing the entire 1st level with the exception of the mud room which is staying tile. What kind of transition would I use between the tile and plank?

3) The bathroom is very narrow, If I go with A) should I still stagger the joints or can install the planks wall to wall in that narrow space? The planks would run the width of the bathroom in that option.

4) Just had the kitchen done, unfortunately the planks didn’t arrive until everything was complete. I’m concerned about the refrigerator, range, and dishwasher and getting the planks underneath. Any suggestion on moving those?

Thanks again for all the help you provide us DIYers.

George O’Connor

Joe replied 2 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 20 Replies
  • 20 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    November 20, 2023 at 7:57 am
  • George

November 20, 2023 at 7:53 pm

Joe,

Thanks for quick response.

We are installing the Flooret Signature plank.

The refrigerator in the drawing looks much bigger than it is. I’ve attached a pic that shows it, but it is 36 inches wide.

You were correct about the mudroom / laundry room location. I’ve attached a couple of pics with a sample plank next to the tile floor. I’m installing the plank over the existing engineered hardwood flooring – so the plank will be very close to flush with the tile once it is installed.

Thanks,

George

• Joe

Administrator
    November 21, 2023 at 1:33 pm
  • George

November 22, 2023 at 12:56 pm

Joe,

I’ve attached a picture of the current transition into the mud / laundry room showing where the tile ends.

I included an updated drawing – I noticed my first one I had screwed up the dimensions of the kitchen and island.

Also, I decided to run the plank North / South starting up in the kitchen.

Would be easier to place my first row so it runs all the way to the end wall of the family room and then come back later and work backwards toward the east kitchen wall? Or should I start closer to the east kitchen wall and work around the corner before going around the island?

Have a Happy Thanksgiving with your family!

George

• Joe

Administrator
    November 22, 2023 at 4:21 pm

Hey George, I am not at the office, I took a half day today. Can this wait until Friday? Otherwise I will get this to you in the morning.

• George

November 22, 2023 at 4:59 pm

No worries – Friday is totally fine. I’m still prepping the floor so won’t start plank until Saturday the earliest.

George

• Joe

Administrator
    November 24, 2023 at 5:00 pm
  • George

November 25, 2023 at 9:20 am

Good morning Joe.

The distance from the base of the island to the wall is 67 inches (71 inches to the patio door)

The short wall is 54 inches.

After watching your last response, it makes a lot of sense to start in the kitchen and come around the corner.

My planks are 9 inches wide.

Also along the long wall in the family room are 2 heat registers – 5 inches off of the wall, so that first row after rounding the corner I will have to contend with those. (see photo)

• George

November 26, 2023 at 3:03 pm

Hey Joe,

Can you check my logic here on snapping my line? See picture below.

1) I want the plank to end in the doorway between kitchen and dining room, so i laid 5 planks from the doorway into the kitchen. That got me past the refrigerator and short wall. I measured the distance to the far wall (dimension A in picture).

2) I duplicated that measurement on the other side of the island (dimension B in picture)

3) Next Using the string method, I would extend the line past the stairway and measure to the far wall (dimension C in picture)

4) I would duplicate that measurement in front of the fireplace (dimension D in picture)

5) Snap my line from kitchen to end of family room

Am I thinking about this correctly?

Thanks, George

• Joe

Administrator
    November 27, 2023 at 10:40 am
  • George

December 5, 2023 at 8:08 am

Morning Joe.

A couple of questions for you. My next few rows will go under the dishwasher and around the kitchen Island.

I watched the video on the dishwasher and that makes sense – my question is do I keep the row that won’t be directly under the dishwasher feet from moving (I think it will have 2 partial plank widths and a full plank width under the dishwasher) – see pic below?

I’m going to stop after the Kitchen / Family room are laid until after Christmas (so my wife can have a semblance of normalcy during the holiday. How would you protect the plank edges where my old floor and the new floor meet until I have a chance to finish? I was thinking taping some cardboard to the old floor and the plank – or is that something I don’t need to worry about?

I got pretty lucky with measurements and could use a full plank against the outside wall (with a narrow piece right in front of the patio door) and coming around the first corner into the family room was also a full plank. So far very happy with this plank.

• Joe

Administrator
    December 5, 2023 at 8:29 am
  • George

December 20, 2023 at 2:19 pm

Hey Joe.

I finished my 1st stage of the install (kitchen and family room). A couple of days later I noticed one of my but joints wasn’t tight against the plank (see below). My problem is this: The bad joint is about 25 feet from one wall and terminates under the stove on the other – so if i use my pull bar and strike it at the far wall will it be enough to close the gap especially since the end under the stove isn’t secured to anything (no bessey spacer or screws). I can’t pull up the planks (about 4 rows) because that plank goes under the refrigerator). Any suggestions on how to close up this gap?

• Joe

Administrator
    December 20, 2023 at 3:46 pm

How far away is the stove from that gap vs. the other wall you showed in the pic?

• George

December 20, 2023 at 4:22 pm

9 feet to the stove, 11 to the wall behind the stove

Page 1 of 2