Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Posted by Aron on October 11, 2022 at 7:20 pm

Hi Joe,

I’m attaching a screenshot I found on the builder’s website of our floor plan. You’ll notice the text is flipped. That’s intentional to represent our actual layout.

Some of my initial questions/concerns:

• I’m installing on a concrete subfloor. I bought a 10-foot aluminum screed to check for high/low points, but am not sure how to actually determine a high point vs a low point in terms of what should be filled or ground down, or if I even need to do it at all.

• Laminate is made by Mohawk and says no more than 3/16″ variation in flatness per 10 feet.

• Any pointers on installing the moisture barrier?

• For plank direction, I am leaning toward E/W and starting at the Family Room north wall, but am open to your suggestions.

• I am wondering how the connecting/joining planks between dining room and “nook” in kitchen (separated by wall/cabinets/fridge) will work.

• Not installing in bathroom.

Joe replied 1 year, 5 months ago 2 Members · 17 Replies
  • 17 Replies
  • Aron

October 11, 2022 at 9:33 pm
  • Joe

Administrator
    October 12, 2022 at 5:18 am
    • Aron

October 12, 2022 at 9:29 am

Hi Joe, thanks for the info so far.

You got my name right…Aron, just like “Aaron” or “Erin”. 🙂

I had the same idea for plank direction and starting point as you, so I think I’ll stick with that. Starting at the “north” wall.

The area you are asking about is outside, so we don’t need to worry about that.

I’ll look in to QuietWalk. It’s going to run me more than 3x what the plastic sheet cost. Curious your thoughts on just sticking with the plastic.

• Joe

Administrator
    October 12, 2022 at 12:49 pm
  • Joe

Administrator
    October 13, 2022 at 9:11 am

here is your blueprint – https://somup.com/c36I2XvXyo

• Aron

October 14, 2022 at 9:01 am

Thank you Joe!

I really appreciate all the details you’ve covered. Im planning to get started in the next few days, and will be watching (and rewatching) this video and taking notes in the meantime.

I’m also still on the fence about Quietwalk. Havent decided if I’m going to bite the bullet yet. 🙂

I’ll let you know if I have any questions.

• Aron

October 14, 2022 at 9:02 pm

When you say to have planks “land in the doorway”. What does that mean?

I’m not sure how much it matters, but it you refer to my original floor plan picture, the small area off the kitchen is a butler pantry. There is no door/door jamb there. There is a door in the pantry/storage and the bedroom off the butler pantry.

I went ahead and took the plunge and ordered the Quietwalk. I went with the black one as a happy medium with cost/benefit.

• Joe

Administrator
    October 15, 2022 at 8:33 am

The black is the proper one for this plank

• Joe

Administrator
    October 15, 2022 at 8:37 am
    • Aron

October 15, 2022 at 9:25 am

Sorry, I wasn’t clear.

I attached another picture. The two red lines are places that do not have doors or door jambs. They’re just walkways.

I’m wondering if the same approach of “landing in the door” applies to these.

My assumption is it won’t apply to the one on the left, given the direction the planks will run through/across it.

• Joe

Administrator
    October 17, 2022 at 7:23 am
    • Aron

October 17, 2022 at 5:57 pm

Thanks! Makes sense.

Moving along…

I’m worried I’ve gotten myself in to a bad place. I somehow missed a significant dip in the family room (the starting room based on the layout plan you gave me).

You mentioned being able to use cardboard, but I assume that isn’t for large areas. As you can see, I am experimenting with adding some layers of underlayment. Not sure if this will work.

I’m getting the feeling I may need to pull this section up and properly flatten the dip.

It’s hard to tell exactly, but I’d estimate the area is about 6ftx3ft.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by  Aron.
  • Joe

Administrator
    October 18, 2022 at 9:16 am
    • Aron

October 18, 2022 at 12:20 pm

Thanks, that helps and relieves my worries. I actually did exactly what you said. I was chasing the dip and causing more problems.

• Aron

October 28, 2022 at 12:31 am

Hi Joe, hope you’re well.

I’ve made good progress, but have run in to two problems.

The first is going in to the bedroom that is right off the bathroom. (Bottom left of floor plan picture).

As you’ll see in the pictures, I have to deal with 4 door jambs in a small area. One going in to the bathroom, two going in to the bedroom and one going in to the coat closet.

These are all in the same row.

I can’t seem to get my cuts right, or have enough play to shift around and be able to lock the planks together.

Could use some guidance here.

Thank you!

• Aron

October 28, 2022 at 1:00 am

My second problem is quite embarrassing.

I got ahead of myself feeling good about the progress and moment I had and have created a situation where I basically have a small section of “missing” planks.

I’ve been trying to uninstall boards, lift, wedge, pry – anything to get them in, but I can’t figure out a solution.

As it stands now I have one full plank that I can’t get in.

As Im typing this I’m realizing maybe I can back out the row near the wall on the left and get to a place that I can get this fixed.

It was actually the row that secured my “first” row (with the screwed down scrap pieces) that were originally missing, this is just where I ended up after trying to get this section done.

• Joe

Administrator
    October 28, 2022 at 9:01 am