Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Posted by Alex on May 6, 2021 at 1:51 pm

Hey Joe,

Thanks for the service you’re providing here, it’s really unique and I appreciate it.

We just purchased a house and will be closing in a couple weeks, and I’m planning to swap out some carpet and old laminate for LVP. The plank we’ll be using is from Flooret, and fairly large: 9″x72″. Since we don’t have the keys yet, I built this floorplan from measurements I was able to take during the inspection. It’s not 100% accurate, but should be representative of the floor area and layout.

The house is a typical MN split-level, so there are some overhangs and such here and there. I’ve excluded those from the floorplan, and only measured/marked the actual floor areas. The half bath area will not have the planks installed.

I believe I want to run the planks north-south based on the provided floorplan, and center on the hallway, but I’m open to alternatives.

I’ve attached the floorplan and a few photos. Please let me know if I can provide any extra info to make things clearer.

Thanks,

– Alex

Joe replied 2 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    May 6, 2021 at 3:07 pm

Have a couple questions for you – http://somup.com/crh1YiFCJ7

• Alex

May 6, 2021 at 3:27 pm

Hey Joe, thanks for the quick response.

My family and I are in MN as well. My wife and I grew up in Minneapolis but we’ve been living in Shoreview for the past few years.

To your questions:

1) The bit of carpet overhang does happen on that landing as well. I’ve attached a couple pictures. My plan was to use some stair nosing there if possible, but I’m not sure exactly what’s under the carpet just yet. Worst case I figured I could take up the gap with some wood trimwork. If you’ve got other ideas I’m certainly open to them.

2) Yeah, I’m thinking the best direction here would be north-south down the length of the hallway. Let’s go with that.

3) Confirming that the half bath will not be part of the install. That’ll get remodeled with tile floors at a later date.

• Joe

Administrator
    May 6, 2021 at 5:07 pm

Okay great! I will get this to you in the morning and I will talk to you about a few options for the railing as well. I grew up in Mounds View. Have a great night!

• Joe

Administrator
    May 7, 2021 at 9:50 am

Here is your blueprint Alex – http://somup.com/crhi2dFEQM

• Alex

May 7, 2021 at 12:40 pm

Thanks Joe, this is hugely helpful.

We like the area around here as well, at least for now. Once the kids are done with school we’d love to move up around Grand Marais.

I’ll reach back out with any questions or issues I run into around the bannisters, but I think you’ve got me set up really well here.

– Alex

• Joe

Administrator
    May 7, 2021 at 2:47 pm

Beautiful area up there. Ok, have a great weekend!