Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

Activity Feed Forums General Bathroom

• Bathroom

Posted by Echo on March 3, 2021 at 9:39 am

Hello Joe – I’m heading into the bathroom next. Wondering if I need to do anything special since my floor is floating. I intend to remove the toilet and pedestal sink, install flooring, then reinstall toilet and sink. Not sure if I leave an expansion around the floor hole or if I should caulk around the toilet once reinstalled. Please let me know how to proceed.

Thanks and God bless!

Joe replied 3 years ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • George

March 3, 2021 at 10:19 am

You don’t mention if you’re installing (that I can see) laminate (wood) or vinyl plank flooring. Obviously, vinyl plank is better suited to areas with moisture than wood laminate. If it’s laminate, I’d do everything possible to “waterproof” next to the drain. You might consider getting a small can of polyurethane paint that’s plastic or oil based. Put a coat or two of poly on the laminate pieces – above and below – the area surrounding the drain area. Hope that helps.

• Joe

Administrator
    March 3, 2021 at 10:27 am

Yes, you should remove both and cut around the toilet flange leaving an expansion joint. As far as the pedestal goes, you want to cut around the mounting hardware, but can share a pic of the area to better help you.

• Echo

March 9, 2021 at 10:24 am

Am I suppose to caulk around the toilet? I don’t want to hinder the expansion.

• Joe

Administrator
    March 9, 2021 at 4:48 pm

Yes, i would caulk the toilet using a silicone based caulk. Not the 100% silicone.