Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Joe

Administrator
    November 28, 2022 at 11:11 am
  • trenah.bader

November 28, 2022 at 3:00 pm

Got it!

Makes good sense now.

Next point…. End cap vs t moulding vs reducer vs no transition.

Spoke with my carpet layer and asked his opinion. He installs lvp as well… and he said the way he’s been doing it the last few years is no transitions at all. And he said cut the ends of my plank and make a dang straight line and then he can use a z metal or something (not sure the name) and basically tuck the carpet up to the ends of my lvt and not use a transition at all. I know my lvp is thinner than the carpet and padding, so I assume a reducer would be best if I do a transition. Should I cut my planks straight, try to get by not using a transition and come back if I want to down the road when he gets here to do carpet and add a transition if I’m not liking how the two come together?

Thoughts?

Thanks again!

• Joe

Administrator
    November 28, 2022 at 3:39 pm

I would leave the transition out and finish the carpet to the plank.

• trenah.bader

November 28, 2022 at 4:01 pm

I feel like I’m making good progress with where I’m at mentally. I got my layout started. I didn’t like smack in the middle of the hall way. It gave me a little ripper on both sides so I moved over half a plank. I like that better. That’s as far as I’ve gotten. 🤣

• Joe

Administrator
    November 28, 2022 at 4:15 pm

Awesome Trenah, you got this!!!

• trenah.bader

November 30, 2022 at 4:32 pm

So my first plank… not the first row necessarily because I’m going to come back and fill that back in… but my actual first plank lands right over a vent hole. How do I go about cutting that out. Do you just scribe it and cut it out with a jig saw? Is that really going to weaken my short joint?

Thanks!

Trenah

• trenah.bader

November 30, 2022 at 4:33 pm

Here’s a picture

• Joe

Administrator
    December 1, 2022 at 10:04 am
  • trenah.bader

December 1, 2022 at 11:46 am

Wow! Neat trick with the jig saw. Thank you!

Okay next “issue.”

I’m coming around the first door way now. I got my cut made using the cheater board to measure. And the plank needs to be ripped down inside the toilet room because the tub isn’t all that far inside the door. So I built my self up to be able to mark that on the plank and marked it with my pencil to get the rip line. But how do I secure that piece to the floor to keep myself building straight?? I can’t screw these ones for sure because I’m already at the tub and when I go to take those out I’ll have the holes visible without base trim right there.

• Joe

Administrator
    December 1, 2022 at 11:58 am
  • trenah.bader

December 1, 2022 at 12:46 pm

Gotcha! I think I’ll use screws like you said. I can screw here because there’s no radiant floor heat under this bathroom. So I just have to keep in mind certain areas I can screw and certain areas are a hard no.

I’m not getting too much further along- waiting on some quiet warmth electric heating sheets to get here so really I’m just tinkering here until I get that here.

• Joe

Administrator
    December 1, 2022 at 1:46 pm

Ok, sounds great!

• trenah.bader

December 12, 2022 at 2:12 pm

So just out of curiosity- I don’t know if it can be “fixed” at this point… but I keep transferring my original line further out in front of me and I seem to be running at a different angle than my chalk line. Like my measurements are getting further from the chalk line. I’ve grown about 3/16 of an inch over 30+ feet. I could have transferred my line wrong… or I’m growing. However- I don’t see my seams getting more gapped. Everything seems tight. Do I reset my chalk line based on my planks? Or keep my chalk line and try to get back to it?

• Joe

Administrator
    December 12, 2022 at 2:26 pm
  • trenah.bader

December 12, 2022 at 2:46 pm

Thanks! I’m almost to the stair opening as you can see in the corner of the picture. So Im nearly half done with the first main big long section of living room. About to come up and around the stairs. So yea I need to snap a new line based off my current plank.

Page 2 of 3