Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Posted by trenah.bader on November 13, 2022 at 4:29 pm

Hi Joe!

I sent you an email earlier today requesting this and had no clue about the course or this feature at the time. I’m so glad this is available. Here is a screenshot of my drawing. This is new construction and there is a walkout basement that generally follows this same floor plan. The basement will have concrete as a base, and the main floor is OSB subfloor. I also plan on using an underlayment that is rated for radiant floor heat because all of the LVP will have radiant floor heat underneath it. I’m not remembering the name of the underlayment but I can look it up if need be.

The bedrooms will all be carpet. The stairs will be carpet. That leaves the main living area, all bathrooms, office, mudroom/laundry room, kitchen, and dining for LVP.

I am using Shaw Floorte Pro Anvil Plus with the 20 mil wear layer everywhere there is LVP. Solid continuous colors, not changing to anything else, other than carpet- where there is carpet.

My main questions for you:

1. Where should I start my layout?

2. Transitions from LVP to carpet?

3. Things to watch out for/avoid?

4. Anything else you can think of!

Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

Trenah

Joe replied 1 year, 3 months ago 2 Members · 41 Replies
  • 41 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    November 14, 2022 at 8:23 am
  • trenah.bader

November 14, 2022 at 9:42 am

Hey Joe!

Thanks for the reply. Here are a bunch of pictures.

The bottom right room in the original floor plan is the office. That WILL be LVP. The other room in question “north” of the master bath area that you asked about is our master closet- that WILL NOT be LVP, that will be carpet.

I really think I want the planks running north/south from your video- I like the look of walking parallel to the planks coming in the front door as opposed to walking perpendicular to the planks coming in the front door.

The other really chopped up space is the mud room/ laundry room and pantry. See pictures attached.

The door from the kitchen to the pantry is no longer a pocket door, rather it’s a “hidden” pantry with a cabinet that will have large cabinet doors that you walk through.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Feel free to call me as well.

402-521-4409

Thanks!

Trenah

• Joe

Administrator
    November 14, 2022 at 11:59 am

Thank you, I will get this to you on Wednesday.

• trenah.bader

November 15, 2022 at 9:30 am

Thanks!!

Before you spend a bunch of time on it- one more thing.

IF you think the best place to start my layout is on the main north/south wall of my living room (circled in red in the attached picture)- please note that there is about a 1.5” jog in the wall. Meaning the wall in the bottom of the picture is about 1.5” further west than the wall in the top of the picture. I took a picture on my phone to show you want I’m talking about. You can see some highlights in the picture. That’s looking down the wall and you can see the other wall sticking out further. I only mention this because it’s not going to be one straight line coming off that wall. I can surely start there and just transfer my chalk line down the room but just so you’re aware.

Also- no fireplace here! Just a flat wall.

See pictures!

Thanks again!

Trenah

• Joe

Administrator
    November 16, 2022 at 5:46 am

Thanks Trenah! I will have this to you by the end of today. Question – Do you plan to install the doors before or after the plank installation? It can be either way, I am just wondering.

• trenah.bader

November 16, 2022 at 7:07 am

Thanks, Joe!

I will be installing the doors after LVP. I have a trim carpenter that is going to come back and install all the trim and doors after LVP.

• trenah.bader

November 16, 2022 at 4:03 pm

Yes that’s fine tomorrow works great

• Joe

Administrator
    November 17, 2022 at 9:15 am

Here is your blueprint – https://somup.com/c3Xbo2vSpa

• trenah.bader

November 17, 2022 at 8:48 pm

Hey Joe!

Just got through the video, thanks for getting it to me. I have a bit of painting to finish and then taking some time off to be with family over Thanksgiving but I hope to get going on this the week after Thanksgiving…

I do have a couple questions/potential issues I would like to ask now though as I just got done watching the blueprint video. First, I recognize the importance of watching the rest of the installation videos, I haven’t made it all the way through them, but I plan to over the Thanksgiving break.

So questions….

1. I have hydronic radiant tubing just about everywhere in this house. The trusses run parallel to the direction of the LVP planks, and the tubing runs parallel as well. To say I am NERVOUS to put a screw in my OSB subfloor OR my concrete basement slab is an understatement. I do not want to play around with that. One of the videos I was watching talked about a glue. Is that something you’d recommend for me? Which type, if so? And how would that work gluing it to the underlayment as opposed to directly on the concrete or OSB?

2. I know for a fact I’m going to need further direction about where to end my LVP in a doorway that’s transitioning to carpet. The part where you drew the door, I wasn’t following that. It may be something I just have to kind of get there and get back in touch to have you clarify that, but I can almost assuredly tell, I’m going to need further help when I get there.

3. The “lockers” in the laundry room aren’t installed yet, and I’m not planning installing them right away. For right now, with the budget where its at, I will likely throw a coat rack on the wall and call it good, but in the future I hope to install wood “lockers” in the mudroom with a bench… My question- and sort-of relates to #1… I have been told not to, under any circumstances install or mount or fasten anything to the floor on top of the LVP, because it is intended to be a “floating” floor. I realize you are telling me to put screws in the areas where plank meets a wall, and that in effect, fastens my floor in place… But like I said, I’m ultra worried to screw anything down for fear of hitting my fluid-filled tubes. Should I be worried about installing lockers down the road on top of the floor? I was told if one plank is fastened down or locked in place, and the adjacent planks are not- if movement occurs or more likely WHEN movement occurs as a result of expansion/contraction- won’t the joints buckle or fall apart from each other?

Anyways, if you could give me insight on 1 and 3 for now- I’ll be back in touch down the road about #2.

Thanks again!

I’m so thankful to have found this resource.

Trenah

• Joe

Administrator
    November 18, 2022 at 8:53 am

On Monday I will go through your options to secure the floor so no screws will be needed. As far as the door goes, send a picture of a doorway getting carpet and I will also explain that in a different way.

The lockers will be fine since you would not mount them to the floor.

• Joe

Administrator
    November 21, 2022 at 9:47 am

https://somup.com/c3Xromwenz

here is a link to those spacers – https://amzn.to/3XmSscE

• trenah.bader

November 21, 2022 at 11:12 am

Thank you so much! I am going to look into those spacers. Also make sense about the lockers down the road and cutting the floor out.

I am getting ready for a little family trip for Thanksgiving but plan on getting going with this when we return so it’ll be a couple weeks probably but I will get back on here when I get going and definitely ask about that door again. Probably amongst a few other questions.

Thanks again for helping me get my head wrapped around this!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Trenah

• Joe

Administrator
    November 21, 2022 at 11:13 am

Sounds great and when you can, please share a pic of the door.

• trenah.bader

November 21, 2022 at 11:16 am

Will do. I wish this website worked better on my phone. Every time I try replying to you or logging in from my phone it tells me this link is trying to steal my information and won’t let me get through. So I have to come back home and get on my laptop to get back to you. I’ll have to try on the phone again.

• Joe

Administrator
    November 22, 2022 at 6:59 am

That’s weird… I use my phone all the time on here. I do want you to know that my site is very secure.

• trenah.bader

November 22, 2022 at 7:25 am

Oh I believe you! I had a busy day getting ready for thanksgiving travels so didn’t get that door picture taken- but I’ll get it back to you Monday when we get back from this trip.

• Joe

Administrator
    November 22, 2022 at 8:16 am

Sounds great and have a blessed Thanksgiving week!

• trenah.bader

November 28, 2022 at 9:56 am

Here is a picture of the door- I wrote on it carpet in the bedroom and lvt in the hallway

Page 1 of 3