Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Posted by Todd on April 14, 2021 at 2:42 pm

I’m getting ready to lay laminate flooring in my upstairs hallway and I’m stuck on how to get started. I know which wall I want to start on, the direction the flooring will be laid and the fact that I’m going to leave the first row or two open until the end so I can secure the starting row the way you show in your videos. Where I find myself struggling is how to get a good chalk line off of walls that are not linear/straight and in the middle of the wall is a bannister that is open to the first floor. I’ve attached a photo for reference.

I’m sure there’s more information that you will need from me to give a good response, but I just wanted to get the discussion going.

Joe replied 3 years ago 2 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    April 14, 2021 at 4:12 pm
  • Joe

Administrator
    April 14, 2021 at 4:56 pm

I hope you can hear me, I just realized my mic was on my other desk.

• Todd

April 14, 2021 at 7:20 pm

I could hear you just fine. I’ve attached a photo of the diagram of the hallway and other photos to illustrate. I’m just doing the hallway.

• Joe

Administrator
    April 15, 2021 at 8:42 am
    • Todd

April 16, 2021 at 7:12 am

Thank you so much for all the information that you shared. You and I are on the same page and I was definitely going to work away from the angled walls and planned to use the short walls as guide and let the plank grow into the bannister area. Your idea to work from the opposite wall and measure off a foot and use that get my bearings is the advice that I was looking for. That really makes sense and will give me the confidence that I need to get this project started.

For the bannister area and the door jams I plan to use a universal molding in the end cap configuration for those areas. Also, thank you for the video recommendations as I thought I had watched all your videos, but missed those two.

I have to say that as mush as I enjoy watching you expertly explain how to lay laminate flooring I’m most amazed about your love for the Lord. My wife loves to watch your video replies and thinks you’re an amazing person.

God bless you!

• Joe

Administrator
    April 16, 2021 at 8:55 am

Thank you brother! I really appreciate that! Say hi to your wife for me!