Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

Activity Feed Forums Floor Prep Ardex

Tagged: ,

• Ardex

Posted by CHRISTOPHER on June 21, 2021 at 1:13 pm

Hi Joe,

Going back and forth between Ardex and self-leveler on my concrete subfloor. I dont recall you mentioning a reason to not use leveler, but would like to hear your thoughts. The concrete has residual carpet adhesive which will not come off, and I’d prefer to not have to mechanically remove it if possible. Does Ardex require a primer like self-leveler?

Thanks

Joe replied 2 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 25 Replies
  • 25 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    June 21, 2021 at 2:22 pm

What kind of glue is it? Can u take a pic of it.

• CHRISTOPHER

June 21, 2021 at 2:57 pm

I have no idea what kind it is. It’s about 25 years old, and predates me. The whole floor has that dark and light look to it.

• Joe

Administrator
    June 22, 2021 at 8:08 am
  • CHRISTOPHER

June 28, 2021 at 9:27 pm

Joe, just saw your response., Thanks for the info. I just wanted to confirm that multiple coats of Ardex/Henry’s can be done for deeper spots. Thanks

• Joe

Administrator
    June 29, 2021 at 9:15 am

Yes! as many coats as needed.

• CHRISTOPHER

July 16, 2021 at 6:55 pm

Hey Joe,

I feel like I’m going down the rabbit hole with my subfloor. Had the laminate 90% done, then tore up half to patch some areas. Put it back down, and it’s still soft in some spots. The first pic is the level on what must be a hump, which I originally thought was a “normal” spot with low areas on both sides.I’m guessing I need to take up the floor and grind that down? The floor drops to the right of the pic by 1/4 towards the garage door.

The 2nd pic is another area I’m chasing towards my patio door. The left edge of the level is where the laminate will meet tile. Should I build that up? I feel like the patching I have done in some areas has created high spots. I’m getting ready to bring the whole floor up and start over. ugh

• Joe

Administrator
    July 17, 2021 at 6:37 am
  • CHRISTOPHER

July 17, 2021 at 7:37 am

Hi Joe, how do I upload a video? It is 385MB, is there a good way to shrink it down?

• CHRISTOPHER

July 17, 2021 at 9:12 am

• CHRISTOPHER

July 19, 2021 at 6:01 am

Well, I ended up taking up the floor, again. I’m just now sure if I’m better off using a smaller straight edge or longer to chase the issues and also deal with the drop off towards the tile area.

• Joe

Administrator
    July 19, 2021 at 12:24 pm

Yes, use a smaller straight edge

• CHRISTOPHER

August 4, 2021 at 5:36 pm

Hey Joe, finally getting a chance to post a couple pics of the completed floor. I didnt get the subfloor perfect, but it looks great and I am happy with it. Undoubtedly, it would not have come out as well as it did without your videos and personal help, so thank you for that. I do have one more question though, and it actually revolves around tile. I am doing a pebble mosaic in the section in the attached picture. Of course, the subfloor is much lower than the laminate, and not flat or level. I just wanted to get your thoughts on how to approach it, given that my skills with patch are not very good. I have done tile in the past on uneven floors and added more thinset where needed, but I dont know if that’s the best approach with pebble.

• Joe

Administrator
    August 5, 2021 at 8:26 am
  • CHRISTOPHER

August 5, 2021 at 10:04 am

Joe, thanks for the reply. The depth varies, but the lowest is 1/4″ below the level of the laminate. I’m figuring a 1/4 trowel , would leave a 1/8 bed, so in some spots I’m 1/8 off, others 1/16, and on the edge against the door, more than 1/8. I was trying to avoid moldings, but its not the end of the world if I use them, either. I had this idea of using grout on the main section of the tile, but then using the matching mapei silicone caulk on the edge butting up against the laminate. ??? Feel free to shoot that idea down, though, I have no idea how that hold up. lol I just need need a solid plan so I dont do this 2 or 3 times. ????

• CHRISTOPHER

August 5, 2021 at 10:05 am

I should say, I’m not opposed to moldings, but this is a heavily walked area, so definitely trying to avoid any tripping hazards (step up/step downs.

Page 1 of 2