Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

Activity Feed Forums Where should I start – Post drawings and questions Another Where to start… and floor height discrepancy.

• Another Where to start… and floor height discrepancy.

Posted by Robert on February 2, 2021 at 1:14 pm

Hi Joe. I have uploaded my floor plan and everything inside the blue outline will be laminate. The red double arrow is in the long central hallway and represents the plank direction. I want to do the installation without transitions excluding one other issue. Where should I start and what is my plan of action?

The other issue is a floor height discrepancy with the renovated bathroom floor. ( see uploaded image) I’m worried about the transition height after my underlay and 12mm laminate flooring. I was thinking about elevating the floor just in the foyer area with subfloor 1/4 – 1/2” (yellow outline on floor plan) to reduce the transition height. However, this would require three transitions. What are your thoughts?

Joe replied 3 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    February 2, 2021 at 5:18 pm

Is that a Corian threshold in the pic?

• Joe

Administrator
    February 2, 2021 at 5:39 pm

I would look at the great room as a one room installation. Start in the Master Bedroom and work your way throughout the house.

• Robert

February 11, 2021 at 6:18 am

Thanks Joe. Couple of issues. 1) the room outside the master is the foyer where I’m wondering if I should do something about the height discrepancy. You didn’t address that issue at all. Also, I’m checking to see what that threshold is made of. 2) Am I working from the great room to that central line in the long hallway or am I working from the great room to determine my long central hallway line of planks?

• Joe

Administrator
      February 11, 2021 at 8:41 am

I can do a screencast for you to better understand. Is the great room entrance from the kitchen? I was showing the 2 different start lines because your print makes it look as if the great room is separate from the other areas in the house and it appears the kitchen is not getting plank? As far as the height goes, I would remove that threshold and the cement board under it and then I would angle it from the tile to the floor only leaving the thickness of the threshold to transition to. Then the threshold would work as a ramp. Make sense?Once you answer these questions I will walk you through this with a screencast.

• Robert

February 12, 2021 at 4:26 pm

Joe,

You are correct, the kitchen is not getting plank. The great room and the hallway are basically one big connected area. All the other rooms have doorways. The threshold is marble and my tile guy says it will be trashed if I try to remove it but if I have to get a new one I guess I will. Looking forward to a screencast. ????

Bob

• Joe

Administrator
    February 13, 2021 at 10:44 am

I need you to watch this video and get back to me on this, thanks!

http://somup.com/crnID5DDfV

• Robert

February 20, 2021 at 7:12 am

Joe,

Thought I got back to you on this and was waiting for your response. You are correct in that the kitchen is not getting plank. The most important point is that there is no wall between the great room and the hallway. I have attached an updated floor plan that shows this. Hope it helps and I look forward to your sage advice!

• Joe

Administrator
    February 22, 2021 at 11:29 am

Here is an Installation Blueprint for you. Let me know if I can help with anything else.

https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/crn3bZWhM9