Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

Activity Feed Forums Where should I start – Post drawings and questions 2500 sq ft install across 1 story house

• Joe

Administrator
    December 2, 2022 at 3:12 pm
    • elseser

December 2, 2022 at 3:19 pm

Thanks Joe! That is definitely helpful and i will consider starting in the bonus. My other concern is making sure the planks are layed straight in the bonus or master so that once i make it to the main hallway, they are straight as well. I’ve watched a few videos about snapping chalk lines but am not quite sure if this will work for me considering the large amount of space between where the bonus or master is and where the main hallway is… Any thoughts?

• elseser

December 2, 2022 at 5:02 pm

Yessir that is the correct hallway!

• Joe

Administrator
    December 3, 2022 at 9:27 am

working on this now.

• Joe

Administrator
    December 3, 2022 at 9:42 am
    • elseser

December 21, 2022 at 4:03 pm

Thanks Joe this all makes sense.

I have started leveling the bonus room first and have found that there are some large areas that are 1/8″ low (max 3/16″). I am wondering, can i use tar paper or additional underlayment in these areas instead of leveler (henry’s 555 patch and skim)? Or should i just bite the bullet and use the leveler? See attached pic for what i am seeing. The subfloor is concrete. The red areas are what is low (the large one towards the middle of the room is probably 3-4′ wide. The edge where it is low is probably 1-2′ wide.

• Joe

Administrator
    December 21, 2022 at 4:09 pm

I would fill it.

• elseser

December 21, 2022 at 4:11 pm

Ok thank you.

I also found that my LVP instructions say to level anything that is 3/16″ low or 3/16″ high, but i am thinking i will level anything over 1/8″ low or high. LMK if you think this is unnecessary though.

• Joe

Administrator
    December 22, 2022 at 8:51 am

An 1/8th inch is really not too serious and can be treated with tar paper and card board, but I would address 3/16th of an inch.

• elseser

January 1, 2023 at 11:00 am

Hey Joe, so I am working on leveling the lengthwise direction of the planks first (picture 1). This is good so far. However I find that it is out of level the width direction of the planks (photos 2 and 3). I am afraid that if I level this way, I will cause problems with the lengthwise direction of the planks getting out of level. Would you agree? Or should I level that way too?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  elseser.
  • elseser

January 1, 2023 at 2:04 pm

I went ahead and leveled it the other direction and seems it’s all flat both ways now!

• elseser

January 1, 2023 at 2:05 pm

Now I am just wondering if I should be using self leveler for this big room since I am going through a lot of Henry’s product and have to level both directions. What do u think?

• Joe

Administrator
    January 2, 2023 at 9:05 am

You can or you can use a thinset with latex in it as your base and then do a final smoothing with henry’s.

• Joe

Administrator
    January 2, 2023 at 9:06 am

you are doing great!

• elseser

January 5, 2023 at 11:31 am

Joe, i have some wires in the floor for what will eventually be a floor outlet. How would i approach this? Do i level around it, then put in an outlet, then LVP? Or Would li do the LVP then install the outlet and wire it up?

• Joe

Administrator
        January 5, 2023 at 12:48 pm

It can be done either of those ways. I would probably do it after filling the floor and before plank.

• elseser

January 5, 2023 at 2:57 pm

Joe – i have been using 547 instead of 549. I just saw your video about this and saw that my surface won’t be as nice but i have been sanding after to smooth it out so i think it is ok, however, i am a bit concerned because for some reason all this time i have been adding 5 qts of water instead of 4 to the 25 lb bag. Am i going to have problems with strength? I hope it will be ok since i have concrete subfloor below the patch, but maybe not… 😣

• Joe

Administrator
    January 6, 2023 at 8:55 am
    • elseser

January 7, 2023 at 5:16 pm

Thanks Joe that makes me feel much better! 5 qts is much easier to work with as well since I have longer working time!

• elseser

January 7, 2023 at 7:19 pm

Got it to connect around the island! Pretty pumped about that. I’m sure I would not have been able to do that without watching your guides!

• Joe

Administrator
    January 8, 2023 at 10:10 am

You are doing great!! Keep it going, you got this.

• elseser

January 8, 2023 at 7:40 pm

Thanks Joe, I have actually come across an issue here at the other side of the island and am seeing a very tiny gap between a plank. I glued it together but am not sure if there is something I can do to make this better, or perhaps it isn’t even really a problem. Here is a video and also a few photos. If you can let me know what you think I would def appreciate it!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kHafy13QFMmjzaTj8

Photo 1 shows the gap up close. Photo 2 shows what a normal connection looks like. Photo 3 shows an exaggeration of what I think the planks are doing. Photo 4 – the green arrows show where I glued.

• Joe

Administrator
    January 9, 2023 at 8:21 am
    • elseser

January 9, 2023 at 10:21 am

Thanks Joe – I will give the wood glue a try!

• Joe

Administrator
    January 9, 2023 at 12:47 pm

wood filler not wood glue. They sell wood filler to match that color in the paint dept.

• elseser

January 9, 2023 at 12:49 pm

Typo!! I already went out and bought some wood filler – i guess i didn’t type what my mind was thinking lol. Good catch though and thank you!

Page 1 of 2