Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Jason

October 4, 2021 at 7:49 pm

So as not to delay your reply, I’m going to go ahead and attach some pictures and explain the situation here but if there is a way to send video to you, that would be easier sometimes.

As you can see, I’ve completed the stairs and they came out looking really nice. I think I’ve shared with you in previous messages too that my son’s room at the top of the stairs is basically done which is where you instructed me to start.

Here’s my dilemma. I don’t know if you can appreciate it in the pictures or not, but the last plank I put down in the bedroom almost makes it all the way through the door jamb. From there I have attached one more row of planks outside the room along the stair rail heading toward the top of the stairs. Those planks didn’t need scribed or anything because full width and length pieces were able to be simply attached to the plank that almost came completely through the door jamb. However, as you probably recall, you had me make marks on the floor in the landing in a couple different areas and in the hall just outside my son’s room where a chalk line could be snapped. If you now measure from the edge of the first row of planks I put down outside that room to the chalk line, it’s not perfectly parallel to the chalk line. It is off by close to 3/16 of an inch from just outside the room to the mark close to the top of the stairs. If I try to just pull on the plank to get it closer to parallel, this affects the butt joints and causes them to separate. I just don’t know how to get this going straight again so I don’t end up with them being off severely by the time I make it all the way through the landing.

I’m not necessarily asking for help on this but you can probably appreciate that the edge on the stair nose is a “groove” I think and the edge on the planks due to the direction I’m running them are also a “groove” where they come together. I think I have an idea of how to deal with this but if you have any inspiration, I’d be happy to hear it too.

Thanks for everything. God bless you.

Jason