Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

Activity Feed Forums Floor Prep Brick hearth – undercut? Reply To: Brick hearth – undercut?

• Chuck

June 29, 2021 at 7:26 pm

Joe-

I was surprised and gratified at the information you’ve provided and the amount of time you spent on it. I didn’t anticipate you getting into the entire upstairs with my first question, so I didn’t provide all the detail you’d need in the layout. I’ll try to give you more background and answer the questions you posed in the video. I’ve annotated and attached the layout with some of that information.

You talked about arranging planks so that edges fall within doorways. That was something we gave a lot of thought to, because we wanted hallways & rooms to be different patterns of LVP, but we also wanted to avoid transition strips unless absolutely necessary.

We looked at a lot of brands of planks before settling on Mannington. We wanted LVT / LVP locking compatibility, again to avoid transition strips where possible.

Plank width is 5 7/8” per plank, measured across 10 planks as you described.
    The plank edge falls at almost the center of the living room/dining room opening and at the edge of the kitchen – which is lined up with the wall that contains the pantry door. So the plank/tile transition works well.
    Plank edges fall within room doorways on both sides of the hall, both upstairs and downstairs (which I’m still working on the layout for).<div class=””>

Height of tile

I pulled some carpet away from the entryway tile to check the height of the tile. It’s right around 3/8” (or a little more – it’s a little uneven), which is 1 – 2 mm thicker than the plank. Our plan was to use an end cap on the plank rather than a T or reducer. That way the height of the transition strip is minimized. The end cap will sit on the plank like an overlapping stair nose, and will only be about 1/16” thicker than the tile. I’ve attached a couple of photos – obviously I’ll have to clean up the excess glue on the subfloor, and the tile is slightly uneven, but I think it’s workable.

I don’t know if you have any more comments on this part, but I wanted to answer the questions you raised in your video. I’ll probably start a new thread with other questions later.

Thanks

Chuck

</div>