Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

Activity Feed Forums Bootcamp Corner – Weekly Calls Corner fireplace Reply To: Corner fireplace

• Cathy

June 7, 2024 at 6:42 pm

I have watched this video – it’s really good! – and followed it when we did grinding as floor prep. I bought grinder with diamond blade. We used it to remove mortar when we removed old tiles in kitchen, hall, bathroom and hearth then to sand down quite a few high areas/humps esp at room perimeters. The concrete and mortar sanded down VERY easily – in fact there were 2 or 3 of spots that got circle depressions because we didn’t move it fast enough when we first started.

In the center of the fireplace area, however, the concrete is completely different: it has a different texture, is filled with small rocks and is extremely hard. We took turns trying to grind down that area for about 4 hours over 2 days and it only flattened it slightly. We assume it was some kind of repair or patch. That was why we decided to try selfleveler which did help raise the sides but prob needed another coat.

The floor & hearth are the next to last project before they have to move in as lease ends on 15th. My daughter in law is pregnant and says she can’t handle grinding again as she has to stay out of the house until all dust that doesn’t make it to wet-dry vac settles and all is vacuumed/mopped/ wiped twice. Says she needs to start deorating & moving stuff in asap.

I’m trying to balance giving them what they want and doing a good job while respecting her needs.

I’ve been reno-ing this condo basically by myself for past 4 months (gutting, plumbing, tiling, cabinets, wood door & trim restoration, sheetrock repair/replace (cat urine), lighting & electrical, closet gut/rebuilds, the list goes on LOL. My son helps on weekends.

Flooring is going great thanks to your videos and advise. But this fireplace hearth is DIL’s breaking point. Rest of floor could be done in a day, maybe 2, if not for that.

So trying to make this as easy and mess free as possible for her. So wondering if you have any ideas. If not I will be back to the grind again tomorrow.

Thank you my friend.