Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Bill

December 14, 2022 at 4:56 pm

Hi @joeletendre – I think there were two open questions for me from your first review of my floor plan. I have answers. 😎

1. Bathrooms (I had asked about “pausing” at the doorways to do the bathrooms later. I decided I will do the bathrooms as part of this project. Decision: I will remove the toilets and install new vanities before installing the plank.

2. Plank direction: I laid out a box of planks in each direction in several spots in the house and I don’t see a clear winner aesthetically either way. Decision: I will run the planks front-to-back, east/west).

Here’s my reasoning: The living/dining room, the kitchen, bedroom #3, and the two bathroom lengths are all front-to-back, and it seems like running the long way in a room makes the room look bigger. The Master BR and BR #2 are nearly square. Only the hallway runs the length of the house. Running plank the length of the hallway seems to accentuate how long and narrow the hall is (not desirable). Also from late morning thru evening the sunlight shines in from the back of the house, and I think shining lengthwise on the planks looks better.

I thought most of the peaks in the subfloor ran N/S (long way of the house), but it turns out there’s at least one significant one that runs the other way. I’ll just need to do my best with the Henry 549 to level the valleys.

If you see issues running the plank E/W (front-back) I can be persuaded to change, but otherwise I’ll stick with N/S (end-to-end).

<font color=”rgba(0, 0, 0, 0)” face=”inherit”>Whew, I guess I </font>analyzed<font color=”rgba(0, 0, 0, 0)” face=”inherit”> that one to death🤯. I think that’s all that was pending from me for the blueprint, but please let me know if there are still any open questions I need to decide. </font>

<font color=”rgba(0, 0, 0, 0)” face=”inherit”>I have a question about leveling the valleys. I saw when you used the tool to screed (?) a valley, you used a level (or I can use a 2×4) resting on the surrounding peaks to pull across the cement to smooth it out. How is the smoothing of the cement handled when there is a peak only on one side, e.g. there’s a peak in the room, and a slope all the way to a wall, and the goal is to eliminate the slope?</font>

Thanks!