Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• George

February 3, 2021 at 7:54 pm

Hey Joe, Thanks for your prompt reply.

The planks we are installing are 7 inches wide.

I understand your advice about the hallway center line – having equal outer plank widths is for appearance sake.

In the same way, but on a larger scale, the planks from the room’s outer walls, to the hallway’s center line, should all be as close to 7 inches wide as possible – also for appearances sake.

To completely fill the space from the room’s outer walls to the hallway’s center line, a final installed plank may need to be cut lengthwise (rip cut) so the final plank fits. Obviously, the final cut should not be too thin – like less than 3.5 inches.

With a forward installation (the male side inserting into female side) the final plank’s side that’s rip cut should be the female side (?). Likewise, if it’s a backwards installation, the final plank’s side rip cut should be the male side. Correct?

“If you want to start in the hall, you sure can.”

Yes, it’s a free world. I can do whatever I want. But why would I, if it’s the wrong way. You’re the Pro. Why would I not follow your suggestion?

“I always base the layout off of the hallway and that is why there is so much focus on it.”

OK, great. I measure the hallway to establish the center line, I then use that line to build out from the hallway to the outer walls of the various rooms and around floor area obstacles.

If I’m still not “getting it”, please advise. Thanks, George